Departure X And X Friends

The metallic clatter of pots and pans, splutter of water from the bathroom faucet, aroma of pancakes wafting up the stairs had woken me up. I rubbed my tired eyes with the insides of my palms, my eyes dry from sleeping only  two hours. 

I raked my soft fingers through my tangled hair as I walked to the source of noises; Gon. "Alice! Alice! Look!" He yelled as he pushed an enormous fish in my face. "What? Are we having fish today?" Gon laughed, "No silly! Mito said that if I caught the biggest fish in the island, then she'll allow me and you to enter the 287th hunter examination. And this is the biggest fish in the island- this is the Master of the Swamp." 

My jaw hit the floor, "So we can go to the hunter examinations?" Gon nodded his head as Mito entered the room, "I guess you guys better pack your things then, right? I'll sign this Hunter Exam Application Form. Gon, will you mail this?" Gon eagerly nodded his head and took the mail from Mitos hand. He ran out the door heading for the nearby post box.

"Well, I'll pack my things." I turned my head to leave, "Thank you Mito. For everything you've done up until now. I don't remember much of my past but thanks to you I've made new memories which cover up for that, so thank you. I wish I could repay you somehow but I don't know how." Mito lovingly smiled, "Alice, don't worry. You have already repaid me by always taking care of Gon every day, and I hope you keep at it. You are like a daughter I never had, and don't forget I love you."

I smiled as I muttered one last thank you and went to pack my things.

***

After saying goodbye to everyone Gon and I boarded the ship heading towards the Hunter Exams. The other Hunter applicants on board tell Gon and I not to get too cocky as the captain warns the passengers that, "It's going to be rough."