Chapter 23

A/N: Hey guys, I haven't updated for a while because at first, I just didn't know what to do with the story and eventually I just forgot that this story even existed. Yikes. Anyway, to make up for it, this chapter is going to be at least 1000 words because you guys deserve it!

CAUTION: Excessive bolding and italics

***

Hisoka is such an idiot, why did I ever think I could become friends with him? Well at least, I can beat Hisoka in our next match.

I have the advantage cause I know he fights with nen but he doesn't know that I fight with nen too. I'm going to go all out on him cause this. Is. War.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I bumped into Illumi who gave me a deadpan stare.

"I was waiting for you for half an hour. I don't believe that you were getting clothes for the entirety of the half hour." I opened my mouth to explain to him but he once again interrupted me.

"Was it Hisoka? Were you with him?" I nodded, "Yeah, he stopped me i-"

"It's always going to be him, isn't it?" He said in a whisper and walked away from me.

What? What the hell? Was Illumi jealous? Of Hisoka? Without realizing, I felt my face heat up and butterflies in my stomach. Wait! No, I shouldn't be happy, I have to explain to Illumi so he doesn't act like a melodramatic housewife.

I ran after Illumi and managed to stop him before he went into his room, "I-its not what you think." I took a deep breath, already getting exhausted by the five-minute run.

"Hisoka and I are just friends. Even though he's a pervert, he's really nice and I'm sure that you two could be friends too. He just stopped me in th-" I stopped myself, why was I explaining myself to Illumi? 

Illumi quickly gave me a smirk, "ah, don't stop there. Explain what you were doing with him." I pouted, "Illumi, you son of a gun, you're enjoying this, aren't you?"

Illumi gave what seemed to be a smile and walked ahead into his room and held the door open for me. I took it as an invitation and stepped inside.

"Alice, here." He threw a sheathed blade at me and I fumbled, trying to catch it. "Why? I already have a perfectly good blade."

"This one is much better, it's more sturdy and easier to channel your nen through. You'll need it if you want to even stand a chance against Hisoka.."

I looked at him confused, "How do you know I use nen? And I don't need this sword, after all, I defeated you without it."

Illumi smirked as if he anticipated these question, "I have seen you use your nen before in the forest during phase 3. And Alice, do you really think you defeated me? Or did I just let you win? Think about it, I'll meet you at the arena during your fight. Don't disappoint me." 

I felt completely shocked and Illumi slipped out of the door headed to the arena. I reached around to grab him but realized I was too late and I couldn't waste any time when I could be training. Those two, do they know each other?

I threw the thought out of my mind and hesitantly grabbed the sword Illumi gave me. It was pretty, not going to lie, but it felt sinister as if people had been killed before with it. The menacing aura discouraged me but I quickly grabbed it and ran out to the arena to practice before the match started.

***

As soon as Hisoka and I got into the arena, Hisoka came past me and whispered something in my ear which made me shudder and want to cry, "My little Ai-chan needs a punishment, don't you think?"

I moved back from him and refocused myself on the match, he can't be that strong. Tonpa and Illumi's words echoed in my mind making me feel vulnerable and scared.. He killed an examiner during last year's examination.. Do you really think you defeated me? Or did I just let you win?..

The instructor blew his whistle and so the match began. Hisoka looked nonchalant as if this would be a breeze while I was completely tense. Ugh. 

Hisoka made the first move and flung a card at my face and I dodged, barely missing it. I ran straight towards him and swung my blade while I faked a punch at his face. Unfortunately, he predicted it so he punched me square in the stomach and I went flying back. 

I stood back up and summoned a ball of aura into my hand and threw it near his feet. It then blew up and I could see Hisoka didn't expect it as he fell back a few steps. 

Hisoka smirked, "Not bad." He threw three more cards at me as a false while he came behind me and put three more cards. While I was busy dodging the first three, the other three struck me to the wall. Hisoka slowly sauntered to me and cut my cheek again with an ace and then threatened to cut my neck which was considered his victory.

I was tempted to spit on him but he covered my mouth with his hand, "Now be a good girl or else I'll have to punish you again.~"

He gave me a perverted face and started laughing like a clown. Never had I ever felt so vulnerable. 

I hate Hisoka.

Gon, Killua, Kurapica, and Leorio rushed towards me and frantically started to worry, checking me more for wounds but my attention wasn't on them. It was on Illumi and Hisoka who seemed to be chatting up a storm and then Illumi turned to me and mouthed the word,

"Really?"

He gave me a blank stare and soon returned to his conversation with Hisoka. Whatever, they're both idiots.

"I'm fine, really. He went easy on me." Gon gave me a hesitant look but decided not to push it any further.

"Let's just get you back to your room, ok?" Gon -with the help of everyone- picked me up and escorted me back to my room where I tried to sleep all my problems away.