°10: Brain Exercise°

"You can just walk straight in; the door is unlocked."

"Alright," I said before ending the call.

Jimin wanted to thank me so he had invited me over for lunch. I put down the instruction manual on the coffee table that I had just spent the last hour making. I was actually quite proud of myself, I loved making these DIY things. It was like a puzzle and I had this huge admiration for anything that was related to brain exercise. No wonder I had a whole folder on my phone dedicated to brain stimulating puzzles and games.

I put on the university sweatshirt and left my house. I had worn it literally every day since I discovered it earlier in the week. It was nice to be able to wear something comfortable other than my pyjamas.

Without knocking, I entered his apartment and my nostrils were taken over by the weird mixture of baby smell and a strong aroma coming from the kitchen. I followed the smell all the way to the kitchen where he was preparing two bowls.

"Have a seat," he said, smiling widely.

The worn-out, frustrated expression he had earlier in the week was completely wiped off. Due to my generous kindness and I put a strong emphasis on generous, he was able to get himself back on track by going to work every time I had a day off. Lucky for him, I wasn't very busy during the week.

I slid onto his chair in front of the dining table and shortly after, he sat across from me. He put a bowl in front of me and the strong scent of kimchi stew invaded my nose. I didn't wait another second before grabbing the spoon to drink the stew.

"Do you hear that?"

I stopped mid-way through chewing on the tofu and curiously looked up at him.

"Hear what?" I asked after the long silence.

"Exactly. That is the sound of peace, something I haven't heard in quite a while."

I rolled my eyes at his over the top dramatic acting and focused back on slurping the stew. I was too busy enjoying the food to even concentrate on what he was trying to say. It wasn't every day I got to eat nice food like this. The last time was probably when I was still living with my parents, but that was because we had a chef in the house. I didn't know how to cook so I either relied on food delivery or restaurants.

"I can't thank you enough for your help today and all of this week. You seem to have gotten better with putting Jun to sleep. I need to embrace this peace while it still lasts."

I choked on the stew and began violently coughing.

Oh God.

Jimin quickly poured a glass of water and gave it to me to drink. I quickly gulped the water before smacking it down on the table.

"The baby!" I exclaimed, the sudden speed of me standing up caused the chair to fall backwards.

"Shush, you will wake him up!" he whispered, his eyes frantically looking around and wating for the cries to begin.

"No! The baby isn't here!"

"What do you mean- "

"Oh my God!"

Without hesitating, I quickly dashed for the door. I could hear Jimin running behind me. I pressed the button for the lift but was getting impatient with how long it was taking so I ran towards the stairs.

"Wait! I can't go down fifteen flights of stairs!"

I ignored him as I ran down the steps, jumping down every two steps. By the time we got to the 10th floor, I heard the elevator doors open, which we quickly dashed into.

"Where is the baby?"

I looked down at my bunny slippers, feeling slightly guilty for forgetting him. It wasn't like I done it on purpose.

After taking Jun for a walk in his buggy all morning, I was stopped in the lobby by another delivery. It was my coffee table and once again the delivery guy left me to take it upstairs by myself. I started to think that maybe the delivery people around here were all rude, guessing from my experiences with them so far.

So whilst I was taking my box to my apartment, I had told a young guard in the lobby to look after Jun. But I guess I had gotten a bit too excited with making the table that I completely forgot about the poor baby.

Well it wasn't like I left him completely unattended. I was sure that I could trust the guards in a wealthy estate like the one I was residing in.

"Well let's hope the baby is still with that guard," he said, letting out a frustrated sigh as he scratched the back of his head.

Once the doors opened, we made our way through the lobby to the security guard's room. As we got closer, we could hear the sounds of a baby crying and someone shouting.

"Call the police now! How can you just keep this random baby for more than an hour and not call the police! Where is your common sense?"

Jimin knocked on the door and the shouting stopped. The door opened and we were greeted by an angry looking man, who was probably the one doing all the shouting. Inside, I could see a young guard, the one I had given Jun to look after, cradling the crying baby in his arm.

"I really apologise for the long wait, we just had an urgent matter to deal with," said Jimin, giving the older man a bow. The man looked at me and I quickly followed Jimin's action.

"This was very dangerous as you didn't inform us on your details or not even on how long you would be gone for," said the man, his voice low and stern.

The young troubled guard put Jun in the buggy and pushed it towards us. I felt sorry for him, having to deal with Jun and being told off by the older guard.

We thanked him and bowed to them again before walking away.

"Listen rookie. You better not do that again," said the guard to the younger one.

Too bad for him because that wasn't going to be the last time he was going to help us.