°32: Lost Memory°

Every time someone walked out of the office, Jimin's eyes would dart up and his heart would pace a little faster. Then he would breathe out a sigh when they walked past, paying no attention to him.

He had Jun cradled in his arm as they patiently waited in the waiting room that was slowly getting emptier as time passed. He wasn't sure if his discomfort was due to the impatience of him wanting to find out the truth or if he feared the news that he was soon going to find out.

He had been debating whether he wanted Jun to be his biological son. A large part of him wanted that to be the case however he stayed ignorant about that fact; in case he was to become disappointed with the result.

The more he studied Jun's face, the more he could spot the similarity between them. But he wasn't sure if it was simply his eyes playing tricks on him. He couldn't trust himself since after all, he fell into this messy situation because he couldn't remember what happened that certain night.

"Park Jimin?" a middle-aged man in a long white coat approached him.

Jimin automatically stood up, raising one hand. "Yeah, that's me."

The doctor smiled and gestured him to follow inside his office. Jimin put the baby boy into his buggy before pushing it behind the doctor. Out of habit, he let his eyes wonder around the cold room. It was decorated with a minimalist theme and a colour scheme that mostly consisted of white.

Jimin sat on the plastic chair in front of the desk, where he was going to receive the news. Due to anxiety, he cracked his knuckles as he waited for the man to open his documents on the computer.

Every second felt like eternity as he tried his best to stay patient. What if the baby actually turned out to be his? That would mean at some point people would find out, he couldn't just hide Jun forever from his family. How would his parents react? Maybe they would accept the news after witnessing just how much Jun has changed him. It was only after Hoseok and his psychiatrist commenting on his changing personality did he finally realise that they were right.

Eventually the doctor began to explain the process they went through to obtain the results. Jimin mindlessly nodded as if he understood the scientific jargon. The doctor took a long pause before sighing.

"I'm sorry, Mr Park."

He pointed on the screen and Jimin read the little text. Their DNA didn't match. He was not the father. Jun was not his. No matter how many similarities he identified between them, the results showed otherwise.

Jimin desperately tried to tell himself that he was suspecting this to happen all along. But his body and mind felt paralysed, as if every cell in his body were holding their breath from shock, forgetting to do their jobs.

He cleared his throat and smiled at the doctor. For a second the corners of his lips wavered and he hoped the older man didn't notice how weak he felt.

"Thank you for your help." He stood up and they bowed at each other before walking out of the room.

Instead of taking the public transport, Jimin decided to walk back home. He needed time to clear his mind and sitting on a crowded bus with old ladies talking to him about Jun wasn't going to help.

He let his mind wonder since he knew the neighbourhood well, he didn't have to think about directions. His plan he had intricately formed in his mind about what he would do if he was the biological father was a waste.

Previously, he had deliberated on whether it was possible to still love Jun as much as he did if he discovered he wasn't the actual father. The short answer being yes. His admiration for the small baby hadn't disappeared.