°28: Compassion°

"I have to go through security check now."

"Alright, have a safe flight," I replied.

I ended the call and chucked my phone on the table before leaning back on the sofa. Hoseok was leaving for a week to visit his grandparents in Jeju and so it meant one less company for me.

Despite being unsure about my feelings towards him, I still was going to miss his presence. To be honest, I wasn't even expecting him to call me at all due to our conversation the day before. I basically told him what I had discussed with Heejung.

I didn't think it was fair to continue our relationship without him knowing how I was feeling or to put it in better words, my lack of feelings for him. He felt like a friend more than anything else and I was confused as to whether it was because I don't know how to date or if I was just putting up unnecessary barriers.

I came to the conclusion that dating probably wasn't for me.

"If we have to break up then so be it because I cherish our friendship a lot."

"Are you just saying that to be nice?" I asked, narrowing my eyes to read his expression.

His smile grew wide as he shook his head. "Yes, and also because I believe it."

"Why do you have to be so selfless?" I sighed.

"If you think about it, I have nothing to lose," he said, "At the end of the day, we will still be very good friends. Won't we?"

"Of course."

I was too busy lost in my thoughts that I had almost missed the sound of my doorbell. As I made my way through the corridor, I wondered who it could be.

Maybe Jimin?

My heart paced a little faster for some odd reason. Who knew whether it was because of anticipation or annoyance. These days I was losing control and understanding of my own emotions.

When I opened the door, I came face to face with Jun and my heart once again began racing as my eyes landed on Jimin. It was probably due to the shock of seeing him look so ghostly.

I shifted uncomfortably when he stared at me with his sunken eyes. His dark circles were exaggerated by the unusual paleness of his skin. Cold sweat glistened on his forehead every time the ceiling light hit him.

"Please look after Jun for me," he said, his voice was almost inaudible as he barely managed to whisper out the words. When I reached for Jun, my hands came in contact with Jimin's. The coldness of them sent instant shivers up my arm and down my spine.

"Are you alright?" I asked, with genuine concern.

"I will pay you back," he whispered, ignoring my question. "Thank you." His voice was low and broken as he struggled to speak.

Feeling at unease, I closed the door and cradled the baby as I walked back. I laid him down on my single sofa and placed his blanket over his sleeping body. A loud bang coming from just outside my door caused me to gasp, which I concealed with my hands; not wanting to wake up Jun.

With my heart hammering against my ribcage, my feet thundered on the floor. When I opened the door, Jimin's body fell in with a thump. I plastered myself back against the coat closet, my hand slapped against my mouth to muffle my squeal.

I crouched on my knees and frantically shook him, hoping he would respond. I checked his breathing and his pulse, a sigh escaped my lips when I felt his pulse thumping against my fingers.

"Jimin," I whispered, lightly slapping his cheeks, "Wake up."

After a few minutes of trying to wake him up, I gave up and resulted in dragging his body through the corridor. During that process, he quietly groaned and squirmed in my grasp.