°18: How to be an Adult°

Narrator

Nari looked up at the clock and let out a rather frustrated sigh. A whole hour had passed and still Jimin hadn't returned. Since the baby had been peacefully sleeping, she had brought her laptop to catch up with some work.

Time had ran off faster than she thought and now that she was done with her work, she couldn't help but think about Jimin's whereabouts. Regret began to creep into her mind when she realised she had never asked for any details. Where was he? When was he going to come back?

"Damn it, I should've at least asked how long he was going to take." She raked her fingers through her dark hair which for once was actually out of its tight low bun that she always seemed to have.

She had decided to let her hair down as she had been suffering from a low key headache throughout the day. In fact, she hadn't been doing well at all. Her throat had felt sore, as if an empty desert had settled there. Nari didn't get sick often but when she did, she seemed to get everything all at once. This time it was a headache, a sore throat and a stuffy nose.

She grabbed her phone from the coffee table and texted Jimin on when he would be making his return. Then she proceeded to lie down on the couch to soothe her headache. However, it only made it harder for her to breathe due to her blocked nose so she sat up.

She squeezed her eyes shut and massaged her temples when her dizziness slowly began to intensify. As much as she wanted to get up and find any type of medication, her body was too weak for her to move. Nari leaned back on the couch and tilted her head a little, with her eyes shut she stayed still for the next fifteen minutes.

Not once did she get a single message or a phone call from Jimin during that time. Once again she grabbed her phone and this time, she decided to call him.

"Why is he not picking up?" she said as soon as the call went to voicemail.

With one hand massaging her head and the other gripping her phone, she continued to call him until he finally answered.

"When are you coming back?" she asked straight away, her voice croaking a little.

"WHAT?"

She instantly held the phone away from her ear as he shouted. Nari coughed and cleared her throat as Jimin continued to holler. She could hear loud music and people shouting in the background. 

She found it rather strange to hear so much racket going on when he was supposed to be doing something serious... It was only then she had realised that she didn't actually know what he was doing. It wasn't like he was a businessman for him to be attending a meeting or something. He was just a mediocre barista.

What kind of business was he up to?

Nari slapped her forehead when things finally began to make sense for her. She shut her eyes and took in a deep breath to calm herself.

"The business you are doing sounds really serious," she spat through clenched teeth. Once again she mentally told herself to calm down and tightened her grip on the phone, as if the thought of getting a hold of herself was physically difficult.

"Cheer up, Nari. I just wanted a break," he replied, slurring his words.

"You better get your ass home right this minute." She wished her throat wasn't in so much pain or else she would have been screaming down the phone.

"Boo! Don't be such a party pooper!"

"You know what, Jimin? You can go fuck yourself!"

She punched the end call and threw her phone on the sofa. She began violently coughing after having strained her voice to shout at Jimin. It was an understatement to say that she was shocked with herself with how she had handled the situation.