°19: Inside Out°

Narrator

1 hour before the Confession

"Hey, watch it!"

Jimin staggered through the club, unintentionally stepping on people's feet due to the sheer number of bodies that were in such a confined space.

He relied on holding random strangers' arms and shoulders to prevent himself from toppling on the floor. Finally, after what seemed like being trapped inside a labyrinth, Jimin managed to stumble out of the club.

The exit door slammed shut behind him, muffling the booming music coming from inside. The chilly autumn night caused the hairs on the back of his neck to rise and so he swung on his blazer.

He looked around the odd but familiar surrounding. It definitely wasn't the place him and Hoseok were in a few hours ago. He had ended up in a desolate alleyway where the only thing that accompanied him was the large garbage bin and its fowl stench.

He staggered passed the bin, one unsteady step after the other. However, a strange sense of familiarity caused him to pause. He looked back up at the garbage bin, blinking at it a couple more times. It was an odd feeling; he couldn't exactly pinpoint what it was nor could he understand why he felt that way.

He stumbled towards the bin but a creepy sensation of déjà vu caused him to involuntarily freeze. Something was wrong. Due to the fact that he was heavily intoxicated, he unfortunately couldn't think straight about it and decided to just head home. He either planned to forget the strange feeling or revisit it another time when he was sober.

His disoriented walking took up the entire width of the pavement, causing him to get annoyed looks from people who just wanted to get home. An empty taxi driving nearby caught his eye but by the time he stuck out his hand, the car had drove right past him. This happened several more times until he finally managed to get himself inside one.

Those were the events that led up to Jimin finding himself gasping at Hoseok's sudden confession.

Maybe my matchmaking skills aren't as rusty as I thought after all.

The corners of his lips tugged up into a triumphant smirk as he continued to mentally praise himself.

"Look, let's leave this for another day. I have to head back to my apartment now."

Jimin's face landed on his palm, it was an understatement to say that he was disappointed with her reaction.

Talk about the lamest response to a confession!

What he didn't want nor expected to see when lifting his face up was a red-faced Nari who looked like she was ready to murder him on the spot. Too bad that was exactly what he saw.

She grabbed his wrist and he instinctively flinched, thinking that he was going to get smacked; only to be dragged out of his home and into the hallway.

Jimin shifted from one leg to another as he winced from the glare Nari was throwing at him. The slits in her eyes felt like knives cutting him and the flaring of her nostrils made her seem like an angry bull that was ready to charge any second-

"How dare you disrespect my kindness and exploit the support I have been providing you with. You know fully well how easily I can ruin you by simply telling my parents about what you're up to. And you also know that if my parents find out, they will take advantage of tainting your father's business. But the reason why I didn't do that is not only because you blackmailed me but also because we are on the same boat as children of businessmen who care about their company more than us- "

"Look, Nari. I'm really sorry- "

"I'm not finished! I've really had enough of being dragged around in your business. I don't want to help you anymore. I was starting to think that you were a decent person but this night has just proved me wrong."

All Jimin could do was blink and watch Nari storm into her apartment, slamming the door so hard that it caused him to jump. He walked back into his own home, almost bumping into Hoseok.

"You screwed up. She helped you despite being so unwell, so you better apologise to her," he said, shaking his head with pity before walking past him.

"As if I will ever apologise to her," he muttered under his breath. His words came out a little more bitter than he thought it would. He was too ashamed to admit that what Nari said hit home because everything she said was the cold hard truth.

"And one more thing," Jimin turned around and waited for his friend to continue. "Your blazer is inside out."

Jimin looked down to see the silk lining of the inside of the blazer in full view. He let out a loud sigh, covering his face from the embarrassment and frustration he felt.

It was no surprise that night, Jimin struggled to sleep. The words Nari had slapped him with paired with his aching brain was not a good combination. It resulted in another sleepless night for him. What was supposed to be a night where he let loose and relaxed to forget about Seola turned into the opposite.

The next morning, Jimin had rolled around in his bed, thinking about last night for a good hour; before having to look after Jun who had woken up. He tried way too hard not to think about Nari but that had majorly failed.

He paced around the lounge in circles whilst feeding Jun the baby formula. No matter how many times he circled around the room, it didn't get rid of the guilt he was desperately trying to deny.

Once Jun had finished the bottle, he set it on the coffee table. He then stretched his arms out so that Jun was parallel to himself. They looked at each other's eyes and Jimin nodded, as if the baby had just answered all his queries.

"Okay. You are right, I should go apologise to her." Jun stared back at him, creating small bubbles with his saliva. "I'm going to be an adult and admit my mistakes."

Jun's eyes creased into half moon shapes and he let out the purest giggle Jimin's ears had ever heard. He returned an equally, if not bigger smile which almost reached his eyes.

It wasn't a lie that indeed this baby that had randomly appeared in his life had already made a place for himself in his heart. And as much as Jimin wanted to find out the origin of the child, he was also afraid that it would result in their separation. He had already let go of someone he loved twice and he was honestly afraid of doing it again.