XXI

Tyler's POV

"I'm sorry it's been awhile since I've visited." my voice cracked. I reminisce the times I'd come here every Sunday with my mom after church.

"It's just I've been so busy with college you know." A drop fell from my eye. A part of me knew he wouldn't reply but I talked to him anyway. My hand gripped his and I began to cry. Would my father ever wake up? It's been over three years now and I still held on to the smallest amount of hope.

I quickly wiped my face when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned my head to see my dad's nurse. When I used to come here regularly she was always here, she checks up on the comatose patients daily. She was always very polite to my mother and I.

I returned a small smile to hers and she retracted her hand from my shoulder.

"How's college?" She smiled and led me out the room.

"Nothing I wanted it to be." I sighed.

"Girl troubles?"

"More like guy troubles." I rolled my eyes and she laughed.

"I know how it is. My one son has those a lot, he's coming by in a few minutes. Would you like to go get lunch with us?"

"I wouldn't want to intrude Laura."

"Oh nonsense he's been working nonstop, it'd be nice for him to find a friend. Or more then a friend." She snickered. I looked at her wide eyed and she continued to smile. She was like a second mother to me when I came to this hospital. When I'd come alone she'd always buy me food from the hospital cafeteria and she was there to help me with the whole Jenna situation. Laura was just so great to me and was always so kind.

"Let's go meet him downstairs, yeah?" She led me to the elevator and I nodded. It's been awhile since I've eaten, I didn't have the energy to after Josh and I broke up. We weren't even dating but it felt right to refer to our separation as a break up.

"Does you son still go to school?" We were currently sat in the waiting room waiting for him to appear.

"Funny you ask, he's a professor." She smiled. I felt a ping of anxiety hit me as soon as she said professor.

"Laura, what college does he teach at?" I tried to keep calm as I spoke but I felt as if she would say the words I didn't want to hear.

"Same college my husband works at, Ohio State University."

It all hit me at once. The same eye color and the obvious similarities. I had no idea, even after I met Josh, that he could be Laura's son.

"Yanno, I forgot I had scheduled to visit my mom." I lied and got up.

"Oh that's fine dear, perhaps you two can meet some other time." She hugged me goodbye and I quickly walked out of the hospital. Just as I turned the corner I bumped into someone. Knowing my luck, I knew exactly who it'd be. I kept speed walking even when I heard Josh yelling my name.

I hopped in my car and sped away to the dorms, I didn't feel the need to hear my mom talk about herself.

Ironically when I got back to the dorms my mom gave me a call. She talked about church, her friends, and Jenna before she even asked how my day was. My mom was glad to hear bought myself a car and got a job. She lectured me more on the dos and don'ts on college before I lied and said I had assignments to do.