20. Give Your Heart A Break

Now here we are,
So close yet so far.
Haven't I passed the test?
When will you realize,
Baby, I'm not like the rest?...
- Demi Lovato

Brie's POV

I felt like shit from the second I opened my eyes. I hadn't slept well; this whole thing with Justin had remained on my brain throughout the entire night and hadn't allowed me the peace of slumber so instead I endured hours of restlessness and worry.

I showered as Justin slept undisturbed in the hotel bed. I envied that he was so unmoved by all this. He literally didn't seem to give a fuck at all. I wished I could stay in the hotel room with him all day in hope that his relaxed attitude would soothe me, but unfortunately I had to leave by 7am to run back to my hotel to meet my boss and colleagues to start work, and Justin had a plane to catch himself.

With a great big sigh I sat down on the edge of the bed next to Justin.

"Hey." I rubbed his bare back, trying to ease him out of his sleep. "Justin, I need to go." I said a little louder. This boy was out for the count. "Justin! I prodded him with my finger and instantly felt a little guilty when he wriggled uncomfortably. "Wake up!" I said loudly.

"I'm up, I'm up." He said lazily.

I watched him move around a little before relaxing back into the pillow. I rolled my eyes. "Justin, I'm going." I leant forward and placed a kiss on his back before getting up and picking up my bags to leave.

"Brie, I'm awake." He called after me. I turned to see him getting out of the bed with his sleepy face on. He was so cute. "Come here." He pulled me into a hug. His soft, smooth skin was still warm from the bed.

"You aren't hugging me properly" He referred to the half-hearted one-armed hug I was giving him.

"What's wrong?" He pulled away from me enough so that he could see my face.

I shook my head and averted my gaze. "It's nothing." I lied.

"No, tell me." He ordered. "I know it's not nothing, I can see it on your face. What's the matter?" I didn't say anything, I was beginning to get a little upset at the thoughts that had been occupying my mind all morning. "Talk to me."

"Justin." I grumbled.

"C'mon. It's me."

I heaved a big sigh. How could I put this so he'd understand? I didn't know if I could. "I'm scared." I admitted.

"Why?"

"Because I think – I know that what happened yesterday will affect our relationship negatively in the long run." I said tearily.

"No it won't, Brie. It'll be fine, I promise you –"

"Justin, you don't understand."

"Then TELL ME!"

"I'm trying!" I complained. He was making this even harder for me. "I don't think we're ready for this."

"You don't think we're ready for this or you don't think you're ready for this?" He challenged.

"Both."

"No. I'm ready for this. I don't give a fuck who knows about us, so that only leaves you."

I stared up at his eyes; they were filled with a mixture of emotions that I didn't recognize. I bit down on my lip not knowing what to say.

"Ok." He said eventually. "I get it." He walked back over to the bed leaving me standing there bewildered.

"What? You get what? I didn't even say anything!"