Ch. 18 - Preliminary matches

'' Shiki-kun! You passed! '' I happily yelled and jumped on Shikamaru's back. He stumbled for a few steps with surprise. I grinned at Ino that was staring at me with a weird look on her face, like she was thinking about something and Choji that seemed strange without the usual bag of chips in his hands.  

'' Troublesome girl... Get off my back... '' Shikamaru murmured, gasping for air.  

My grin widened and I hugged him tighter. '' What? You can't be serious! Come on, Shiki-kun! I missed you! Since we were put on teams it was like I never even saw you anymore! It's really not fair. ''  

'' That doesn't mean that you have to do stuff like... jumping on my back. We can still hang out at my place and play video games and shogi... You'll always be my best friend, '' Shikamaru said.  

'' Aww, '' I squealed, only hugging him tighter and completely ignoring the weird looks of the people around me. '' And you're surprisingly cuddly! ''  

Shikamaru's face slowly turned red after my comment while I just carelessly laughed and began poking his cheek, still on his back.  

Suddenly Ino snapped with her fingers. '' I get it now! You have a crush on Shikamaru! ''  

We both stared at her. Then we slowly looked at each other. The next second I already jumped away and there was a blush, spreading across my face. '' No! No! It's not like that! Shikamaru is my best friend since childhood! I mean if we would get together it would just be weird! ''  

'' But you do like him! '' Ino said with a smile and her eyes were sparkly with enthusiasm. Did she really think Shikamaru and I would make such a good couple?  

I shook my head even faster. '' No! '' Then I stared at Shikamaru. '' No offence... You know that I think you're awesome and I love you. But not in a 'love you love you' way... '' My face began getting even redder when I saw the look in his face. Gagh, what the heck was going on? When did this whole thing get so strange and complicated? '' I'm leaving! '' I yelled and slowly began backing away. 

I looked around to see which team I could hang out with. We were all on the tribunes that were around the arena that had a fighting platform in the middle. It looked like there were exactly 10 teams that passed.  

At first I noticed the weird team of that even weirder, creepier Kabuto guy. When I saw Hitomi, Ren and Ryo I couldn't help it but to smile. They seemed beat up but they were my friends and that was why I was happy that they passed. Next to them there were Kotori, Tsubaki and Yasu looked surprisingly okay. Tsubaki was even fixing her glasses in that creepy way of hers. When I noticed the next team my smile disappeared. 

The Sound team, Sumiko, Kaito and Mei. They also looked beat up and tired but they were there... Mei was currently even shooting strange looks in my direction. I guessed that she held a grudge about that whole senbon technique that I used on her.  

I slowly clenched my fists. This time... If I will have to face one of them in a fight... I was going to win. I was going to do everything that I'll have to win. Loosing won't be an option.  

Close to them there was another Sound team. Their leader was wearing a furry thing and one of their members had his arms completely covered with bandages. I wondered if he hurt them in the forest of death.  

Standing a little bit further away was Gaara's team. I noticed Sakura, Naruto and Sasuke on one side of the arena and then Tenten, Lee and Neji on the other side. I grinned at waved at Tenten that just smiled and nodded back. Then I already ran in the direction of my sister's team.  

'' Howdy! '' I happily greeted them, grinning. '' I see that you made it! Congratulations! ''  

Naruto smiled. '' Of course we made it! '' he said and raised his fist in the air. '' I already told you that we were going to pass the exams! Believe it! ''