Chapter 1: Striking Out

"We don't need anymore media kid, now buzz off."  The pointed glare you were trying to give Tony Stark didn't seem to faze the old man.  Yep, that's right.  In you're eyes, he was an old man indeed.  (So, about that...we're going according somewhat to the movieverse with some liberating done, such as keeping certain X-Men certain ages and then making some younger...older. On with it...)

"I'm not media though.  I'm a bonafide graphic novelist and I picked your team out of all the superheroes around to write a few about," you argue back, hands on hips.  You'd both been going back and for almost thirty minutes now.  He'd said some insults...you'd said some insults...some verbal fighting had taken place...and then Steve had cut in.

Oh yeah, you knew Steve Rodgers from when he dated your mom that time your were...twelve, maybe it was eleven.  You could never remember.  Let's just say that you two got closer than him and your mom.  He was like a big brother, but always away.  You'd stayed with him for some time after your mom had died and would call him often as you went out to different parts of the world.

"Sorry kiddo, but with everything that's happened, especially with the Sokovia Accords, the Avengers just can't be publicized anymore than what we already have.  You're gonna have to find your inspiration elsewhere."  You frown as Steve says this.  This was your sixth strike down.  Either from a company or from the superheroes themselves.  (You see, you'd tried to narrow down on Thor, because who didn't like him, or his abs really, but he refused to let "a weak little Midgardian" come to his home...planet, world...REALM!  It was his home realm.)

"I understand Mr. Stark, Steve.  I'll be on my way then." You shrugged your messenger bag up onto your shoulder.  It was an essential that you never went anywhere without.  If anything, it'd be the only thing that'd be considered constant about you.  "Call you later, Cap."

"(Y/N), don't start-" You were already too far gone to hear Steve's reaction.  You were drowning in rejection and regret, which would turn out to be a terrible mixture since you actually passed up the chance to grab a fudge pop on the way to your temporary home.  If you weren't hungry, that meant serious trouble.  You had to take the subway to the edge of the city and even then had to walk about a mile.  It relaxed you mildly, but you still felt like a wreck.  You couldn't help the deep, bone-shaking sigh that you released as you stepped into your apartment complex.

Although you were only sixteen, you provided for yourself in every way that an adult does, even a home.  You had rented out one of the cheapest, trashiest places around.  It was in a bad neighborhood and you'd lost multiple things over the course of only one month!  You were getting ready to move on...but at the moment you just wanted to drink away your sorrows.  To say you had not done it after the last rejection would be lying, and you were ashamed of it greatly. 

As you walked glumly through your night steps of a hot shower, microwave dinner, and doodling idly in your sketchbook before settling down into bed, you couldn't help but maybe there was more out there for you besides this rough life.  Maybe you weren't meant to be a graphic novelist and maybe you were meant to lead to a sucky life, but the thing you could do was start making it better instead of letting it get worse each day by pursuing a dream you couldn't reach.

You took a moment to look out the window.  The sky was full of your stars and you minutely recalled happier times, with a mother's arm wrapped securely around a near twelve year old's body.  It was warm and fuzzy, a tale of a time long past.  A world you would rather forget, if you were honest with yourself.  That was a time you could be free...be a child.

The stars hadn't changed much, just the positioning.  You could easily pick out Polaris, your favorite star from your stargazing days.  It was the brightest and was always the one that you placed your wishes on.  For some reason, it was those wishes that always came true.  So tonight, you did something you hadn't done in four years.