33

"If I tell you why I'm leaving you, you have to promise to let this happen." I stopped in the doorway, facing him slowly. He laughed and shook his head at me as if I was crazy. 

"You should know I would never promise to let that happen." 

"You have to promise." I demanded of him, keeping a straight face. 

"Look, I'm never going to force you to be my girlfriend. But if there's any way I can keep us together, then I want you to be my girlfriend, okay?" his voice was kept at a minimum, trying to stay as serious as possible. My hand reached back across me, grabbing the door knob to shut it. 

"My grandmum called this morning," I told him, although I was sure he knew that much. "I know I probably woke you up halfway through." I shrugged.

"Yeah." he chuckled, a smile across his face. 

"We got into an argument about where I was staying, and I guess it ended with the exact opposite of what I wanted." I sighed, biting my lip. "She's making me stay out there. For good. Since I don't have other family out here and Maria isn't actually a legal guardian of mine, or at least, taking care of me, she would get her way."

"You said so yourself, you're going to be eighteen soon." 

"I know there's a lot of flaws with her logic, but I just have to do it. Even if I have to sneak away when I turn eighteen. But I won't have the money to come back out here." I shook my head shamefully. I should have listened to my dad when he told me to get a job a few years ago. 

"Everyone here would help pay for a ticket for you, you know that Dani." he smiled, pinching my cheek. 

"We're going to college next year. We're all going our own separate ways, it'd be such a waste of money for them." I shook my head, staring at the floor. It was sweet, but I was right this time. "And that's another thing. My grades would be so fucked up between two schools in two countries, there's no way I'm going to get into a good uni like I wanted to."

"Just don't go back." he pleaded. 

"She's already buying a ticket to send me back, it's too late. I came over to say goodbye, and I was going to tell everyone else afterwards." I explained. "Which reminds me- I have to go over before it's too late." I opened up the door. 

"Can I come with?"

"No," I sighed, shaking my head. "I'm not breaking up with you because it hasn't been 2 weeks like I promised. But don't be surprised if we do.." I muttered, "It's only to make it easier though Harry. Because I absolutely adore you." I gazed up at him, making sure he knew that I meant it. 

"I'll see you tomorrow Dani." he nodded once, leaning down to give me one last kiss before I left to Zayn's. I smiled as I walked away, going to drive off to break the news to everyone. This time, it was going to be in person. And I have no idea how I'm going to do it.

~~~

"Is Harry in his room?" I asked Maria as she let me into their home. She nodded and told me I could go and knock to see if he was ready or not. "Thanks." I went for the stairs. 

"Dannica," she called after me, making me turn around. 

"Yes?"

"Can we talk for a moment?" she asked me curiously. I started to walk back over to her and she led me into the kitchen. I took a seat on a stool by the bar of the kitchen and she went around it to get to the stove. 

She was making some tea I guess. She poured both her and I a cup and leaned against the other side. I took a sip and set it on the counter, waiting for her to say whatever she wanted to say. "Do you really like my Harry?" she played around with the mug in her hand. 

"Uh," I studdered, "Yeah. Yes?" I always found it awkward when adults would try and talk about relationships and your love life with you. They always were going to just tell you how young you are and that you're so cute and silly. 

"You don't sound too sure." she laughed quietly. 

"I do." I nodded to her, seeing as she was being very professional and serious about the situation. 

"I know he really likes you," she nodded. "He has for a long time. He just didn't know it." she laughed as if she was thinking back on old memories. "I remember his first day at school. He came home and told me, 'I can't stand this girl, Dannica Douglas.' and he went on and on about everything he didn't like." she laughed as she spoke.