Chapter 1 - Lay in the atmosphere

There was a crack as the round rocketed out of the barrel, the led ricocheting off the skylight and shattering the glass into a thousand tiny shards as it fell like crystal rain into the level below. The second shot fired disappeared into the darkness and all fighting stilled, Dakota screamed as she rushed to Blake who was lying on the floor nursing his aching head after Liam slammed it without remorse into the concrete.

Blake held the gun in a vice-like grip but Liam didn't let go and a third shot exploded into the night as the bullet flew into the air and the bang that emanated from the gun, rendered his ears ringing. Harry lunged for Louis slamming him to the ground and they frantically checked the other for any wounds. But he craned his neck as Blake held the gun, as Louis screamed trying to push Harry off, Harry simply held him down tighter. Louis arms flailed but Harry's hands were pressed against Louis face and he spoke quickly, Liam couldn't hear what was said as his ears rang. Whatever Harry said rendered Louis silent. And Liam was thankful his friends were safe.

Blake laughed holding the gun but Liam kicked him in the stomach and he snatched the gun up holding it inches from Blake's temple. There was malice in his eyes but when Blake looked into them he flinched and turned away, his hand shook as it held the gun. He wasn't a killer, as much as he hated Blake, he couldn't kill him. Liam stood in silence, Blake groaned holding his head and Dakota sat on her knees, shaking hand resting on his chest as she let the tears fall from her face.

Jennifer gasped in horror as the gun went off, she ran to the edge of the roof. In the chaos of it all Liam watched her retreat and was glad she was okay, if Blake hurt her anymore then he already had... Liam couldn't promise he wouldn't hurt Blake, or kill him. Despite everything he and Jennifer had been through, he loved her and part of fighting with Blake was to protect not only the boys, but Jennifer. To Liam's relief she rested her hands against the cold cement and stared out at the city lights, her shoulders shook as she cried.

Smoke billowed from the gun and Liam gripped it as he shook, in disgust he threw it across the ground and it slammed into a skylight where the cold metal glinted in the night. Alarmed, Liam looked at Harry who was now holding Louis in his lap and soothing him as he sobbed into his shoulder. Harry was whispering quickly into Louis ear and although

Liam couldn't hear what he was saying, he somehow knew it was intimate. Liam was panting, the fight for the gun was quick but chaotic and each time he saw Blake's hands tighten around the metal handle he would feel a rush of adrenaline expel into his veins. All that went through his mind was to get the gun away from Blake, the fear of what he would do with it was too great. His breath fogged up into the air around him, as he watched the groaning Blake and was sure he wouldn't be moving anytime soon he began for Jennifer as his eyes welled up.

All he wanted was to bury his face in her soft blonde hair and hold her tightly. But before he could reach her he heard Blake let out a whimper.

Liam's head snapped around and his eyes widened, there in her torn red dress, lipstick smeared across her face stood Dakota and she was aiming the gun at Blake.

"Dakota, no!" Harry shouted as he slid Louis off his lap and reached out for her.

"Shit," Liam swore rushing back to the chaos.

Blake looked up at Dakota in confusion, tears welled up in his bruised eyes and he held out a hand. "Babe, what are you doing?"

"Shut up!" She swore her hair billowed around her face and her cheeks were flushed. She shook the gun towards him as she shouted, "this time you're the one shutting up."

"You're better then this," Harry whispered slowly stepping towards her.

"Harry don't," she sobbed.