Follow The Hearts

~JACK'S P.O.V.~

I watched (Y/N) leave the bar with her boyfriend, as sadness set in. She was the only other person in the world who knew I was alive, and she was genuinely interested in me, and not just because I was famous. She saw me as a person, a talented magician, and not as an untrustworthy man or a criminal, like a lot of people saw. I looked at where she sat for a moment, then looked at my beer. There was something under it, and I lifted my glass, and picked up a 2 of hearts card, and I turned it around to see handwriting.

Jack,

Please help me. My BF is here and he saw our faces rather close(if you know what I mean) and I am fearing for my safety. I think he's gonna try to kill me. Follow the hearts.

-(Y/N)

I was horrified and confused. What did she mean by "follow the hearts"? But I didn't really care, my friend was in a dangerous situation(which was caused by something that was completely innocent, but didn't look that way from her boyfriend's angle), so I got up out of my seat, and ran out of the bar. I was hit by the cold air outside, but I brushed it off. I looked around, I suddenly understood why she told me to "follow the hearts", because there was an ace of hearts card on the ground. I picked it up, and ran down the block, until I stopped at a crossroad. I looked around, and saw a card stuck to the wall across the street. I waited for a string of cars to drive, and I ran across the street into the crowd of people.

I pulled the card off the red brick wall. I walked straight, until I hit another crossroad. I looked around, and I saw a 4 of hearts on the wall to my right, so I pulled it off the wall, and walked down the sidewalk. This sidewalk did not have many people on it, so I looked around at the walls, looking for a card. I found one stuck outside of an alley across the street, so I jaywalked across the street, and pulled the card off the wall, and walked down the alley.

The alley was deserted, except for a few homeless people. I looked at the cards. I had collected the ace, the 2, the 3, the 4, and the 5; meaning she only had 8 cards left for turns. What if they take more than 8 turns? I wondered as I walked, looking for the 6 of hearts card. Does it become "follow the spades" because spades are pretty similar to hearts. Ah, yes, the weird thoughts of Mr. Jack Wilder. I should write a book, the money I'd make. Oh, wait, "I'm dead".

The 6 of hearts was laying on the ground straight ahead past a turn, and I picked it up. I could hear voices not far away, and one of them sounded like a woman, begging for someone to stop. I immediately recognized the voice of (Y/N), even though I never heard her voice in this tone. I started running, still looking for the 7 of hearts, which I found in front of a side-alley. I clung to the wall, and looked around the corner.

The alley was relatively clean, with a garbage dumpster on the wall opposite of me. (Y/N) was pinned against the wall, her face facing me, lifted about 2 feet off the ground, with her boyfriend's hand on her throat, choking her. Her eyes were filled with tears.

"I swear, on my life, I'd never cheat on you," she plead.

"I wish I could believe you!" Brent snapped back. "But I saw what I saw, you made a move on that guy."

"No I-"

"Don't lie to me!"

I grabbed the 7 of hearts, then slid the cards into my pocket. "Hey!" I shouted at him.

Brent looked at me. "You. You stole my girl!!"

"No, he didn't," she said. "Oh, and consider this a breakup. And this time, I'm not taking it back. No matter what you do; you can choke me all you want, I have a witness this time."

He gave her an angry glare, and he bashed her head against the wall and dropped her, and I watched as her unconscious body hit the ground.

Anger started boiling up in me, and I ran towards the man. He was built similarly to me; an inch or so taller than me, some muscle, could potentially be easy for me to knock him out. He tried punching me, but I dodged the punch, and I grabbed his shoulders, and kneed him in the crotch multiple times.

I could tell he was in obvious pain, and he managed to push me away for a second. I gave him a second to recover because, you know, I didn't want to be a complete asshole. He started running towards me, and I ran towards him, and, like when I'm throwing cards, I curved at the last second, avoiding him, and I grabbed his neck and bashed it on the side of the garbage dumpster as hard as I could, knocking him out.

I let him fall onto the ground, just to make sure he wouldn't get back up. Then, to make it look like he was asleep, I dragged him next to the wall, and propped him up against the brick. I didn't want it to look like a crime scene. "Sweet dreams," I murmured to the man, before running up to (Y/N), and kneeling next to her. "(Y/N)! Wake up!" I told her, shaking her arm. Her left eye was pink and swelling, so I guessed she'd be getting a black eye sometime soon. But still she didn't come back to her senses. I put my hand on the other side of her head(that hit the wall) that was on the ground. I pulled my hand away, to see blood on by fingers. I carefully flipped her on her back, to see a deep cut on her cheek, which was bleeding badly.

"Aw, man, Merritt's gonna kill me," I muttered to myself, as I picked her up bridal style, and held her close to my chest. I started running down the alleys back to the cabin in the scrapyard.

I approached the scrapyard fence about 20 minutes later. The scrapyard was very small(which was probably why it was shut down and abandoned), with enough room for a small cabin, one of those car magnet things, a car compacter, about 3 dozed cubed cars, stacked in towers of 6, and 3 non-compacted cars. I set (Y/N) down on the ground gently, and picked the padlock('cuz, you know, nothing's ever locked), and opened the door. I picked her up again and walked to the cabin. I opened the door, and walked to the couch to set her down. I walked back outside to close the door to the scrapyard, and walked back to (Y/N). I kneeled next to her, and pulled her (H/C) hair away from the wound on her head so I could get some ice on it without freezing her hair to the wound.

Our cabin is about 1000 square feet, with the kitchen and the living room one room, and with a hallway leading to two bedrooms and a bathroom. The living room had a couch(which faced away from the door), a TV(with a DVD player), and a side table. Each bedroom had a twin bed, and a dresser(which we kept a few changes of clothes and a deck of cards in[and in Merritt's case three hats]).

I walked up to the fridge, and opened the freezer. I pulled out an ice pack which had been left here for us when we got here by the previous inhabitants, and walked over to (Y/N), and pressed it firmly against the wound.

The door to the cabin opened. "Hey," said Marritt McKinney.