Security Issues

~YOUR P.O.V.~

I'm impressed.

Those words seemed to echo around the cottage for a few seconds, causing you and Jack to shut up immediately, and your jaws dropped. 

"You? Impressed?" asked Jack.

Marritt nodded. "Son, I haven't seen anyone pull a trick on me like that without me noticing since 1998, when I had long hair."

You lean in close to Jack and whispered "He had long hair?"

Jack shrugged. "I had no idea."

Marritt glared at them. "So, if you're a magician, don't you have more stuff than a deck of cards?"

You nodded. "It's all at my ex's apartment, guarded by alarm systems, security guards, a locked door with a metal sheet inside, and 3 German Shepherds."

Jack shrugged. "We've broken into harder places."

You look at Marritt. "You're a mentalist, can you hypnotize dogs?"

He nodded.

"And would you 2 be willing to help get my stuff back?"

They both nodded.

"Thank you. Now, he works from 8 to 8; 12 hours. The guards know me, they'll let me in. I'll have to distract them so you two can sneak into the staircase. Then, Jack can pick the lock. The dogs know me, but they'll try to attack you two, and Marritt, you'll hypnotize them while me and Jack get my stuff from the closet. The closet is in his room, which has an advanced alarm system, so I'll have to hack into that through his computer, which is the easiest thing to hack into. Then, we'll have 10 minutes to get my stuff out of his room before the alarm repowers itself. Then I'll have to get you 2 out, and once I get my stuff back, I'll easily be able to distract the guards because they're all suckers for magic."

"How do you know all of this?" Jack asked.

You shruged. "Because I've lived there. I've hacked into his computer because he'd lock it when I was home alone. He didn't trust me."

"So we'll gooo, tomorrow?" Marritt asked. "When he's at work?"

"Hopefully he goes to work. I don't wanna break in when he's home."

"How'll we know he's at work?"

You thought for a moment.

"We call his work," Jack answers. "We call saying we're the front desk and that a package has arrived for him and he wasn't in his apartment, so we're wondering if he's at work."

"Not a bad idea," you said.

"What if his work tells him a package came for him?" Marritt asked.

"We make an actual package for him," Jack said, "And we put it on his table for when he gets back. Marritt, you should call so you can hypnotize them over the phone so they won't tell him he got a package."

"Dibs on making it," you said. "I have quite the surprise in store for him."

-----------------------

The next morning, you wake up at around 6 in the morning on the couch, covered in a blanket you didn't think you put on you. You shrugged, and got up. The sun was just starting to rise in through the window, and you used that light to search the cottage for a pen and a piece of paper. You quickly wrote a note to Marritt and Jack letting them know you will be out for about half an hour to get coffee.

~JACK'S P.O.V.~

The sun shone through my bedroom window, right into my eyes. I woke up to this, and it kind of annoyed me. I got out of bed, and tried to remember what happened last night. I couldn't, and I suspected Marritt made me forget something. All I remember was us working on the break in that would take place today.

I walked into the living room, and saw (Y/N) was not sleeping on the couch, and there was a note on the side table. I picked it up, and read it.

Woke up early, I'll be back around 6:30, I'm getting some coffee from Starbucks. Hope straight black  is okay.

-(Y/N)

P.S. If you think of it as anything other than coffee, get your mind out of the gutter. It's coffee, damn you!

I laughed as set the note down on the table, and put the blanket on the back of the couch. I looked at the clock. It read 6:36.

The door opened, and I looked to see (Y/N) carrying a tray of 3 Starbucks coffees. "I come bearing gifts," she said, closing the door behind her with her foot.

I laughed. "Good morning. Are you always this...energetic in the morning?"

"Most of the time yes. Here, take one," she said, holding out the tray. 

I took a coffee. "Thank you."

"Mhm," she said, and she pulled one out too, and walked over to the kitchen and set the final cup on the counter for Marritt. 

"So, you ready to break into an apartment?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Well, it's more like 're-entering', seeing that I've lived there. I haven't officially 'moved out' until I get my stuff back."

I grinned. "Well then. Do we have everything set up?"

"The box is done, the picks and cards are packed, now all we need is for 8 o'clock to come and for Marritt to wake up."

"Shouldn't we wait until a little after 8 to check in with his work?"

She thought about it for a second. "That's probably a good idea. At the apartment the mail doesn't come until like 10 or so."

"So we should wait an extra 2 hours?"

She nodded.

"Alright. Sounds like a good plan."

"We should run through the plan one final time when Marritt wakes up. Clean every last fuzzy detail up."

"Alright. He should wake up any minute now. He normally wakes up around 7."

The minutes crept by, as me and (Y/N) drank our coffees in silence. It was a little awkward, but I've been in more awkward situations. Example: the first time I met Atlas, I stuttered so much, I regret it to this day.

Around 7:30, Marritt walked out of his bedroom. "Good morning all, Ms. (Y/N), I hope you slept well during your first night with us."

She shrugged. "I've slept worse."

"You finally woke up," I said. "There's a coffee over there for you. It might be cold, she got it an hour ago."

"Thank you," he replied, and he walked over to the last coffee. He picked it up, and took a sip of it. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh," he said right after he swallowed, like he always says after he takes that first sip of coffee in the morning. "It's still warm!"

"Good," she said. "Now, let's get down to business."