Chapter One

Ali's POV

My name is Ali Harrison I am twenty-four years old. I have just recently graduated from Columbia a few months ago. I graduated top of my class with my degree in English lit and world history. I work in a small little book café in the heart of New York. I have worked here ever since I started school four years ago.

I love working in the café and why wouldn't I after I study European lit and world history I graduated top of my class. It was a big thing for me and I was happy.

I am the youngest of two children I have raven red hair and light green eyes and a pale complexion. I live in a nice little apartment a few blocks from work with my best friend Katie.

"Good morning" I say to Jose the manager of the café.

"Morning" he sighs.

Jose Sanchez he has curly brown hair and golden brown eyes. We have been friends for a long time and we have been through a lot together.

"What's wrong now?" I ask as I place my bag under the counter.

He sighs and runs his hands through his hair. "The café has been bought by someone new" he tells me.

"What?"

"Yes they will be here by the end of the week" he says softly.

I can't believe it someone bought the café I mean I knew that we were having some issues but I never thought that they were this serious.

"Do you know who they are?" I ask walking around to the coffee maker.

He shakes his head. This is bad really bad our boss could walk in on us at any minute and we wouldn't know. God I hope their nice.

The ding of the door tells me that the morning rush is coming in. This café is one of the best in towns for making coffee and pastry on the fly. We don't have hands to handle all this business that we are getting.

That is why I am puzzled as to why someone would want to sell this business it is doing great or at least it looks like it's going great. I don't really know.

After the morning rush dies down there is not much to do in the days until lunch time so I have some free time to work on my books or read a few books. I am left all alone in the café while Jose went to fetch some items.

I walk around in my bare feet just feeling the cold floor under my feet it sometimes remind me of home and my parents. I was born in Denver but moved here for school my parents hated it but they allowed me to venture out on my own.

I got a scholarship to Columbia to study and left Denver. I go home every once in a while when I can afford it. I take off the jacket that I was wearing and my apron. I walk over to the music system and place my iPad on it.

Normally I would go for something light and mellow but today I'm feeling a little extraordinary. So I went with Pentatonix most people don't understand there group but I do. To some people they might only do cover but they do have a few originals.

The sweet sound of Natural Disaster is booming throughout the café as I tidy up. This song is just so nice. I am smiling and dancing with is strange for me as I don't normally dance. But today I feel like something good is going to happen.

I walk out of the café and into the back to grab some more sugar I still don't see why Jose keeps putting it way in the back. After I climb a ladder and retrieve the sugar I walk back into café to find a man standing in the middle of the shop.