Chapter Twenty-two

Ali's POV

I don't know how long we sit on the bench and I don't care I was just happy that he was still by my side. His hands wrapped securely around me keeping me safe and I smile.

This night didn't turn out the way I thought it would we were all having such a good time and now all of that is ruined. I just want to go but I can't if I do she will win she will know that she can intimidate me like this.

I get out of Giovanni's lap and stand and to my joy I can hold up my own weight. I smile and turn to Giovanni who is eyeing me with worried eyes. I extend my hand to him and he takes it and stands.

"Are you okay?" he asks and I can hear the worry in his voice.

I reach up and kiss him lightly. "Never better. In fact I would like to dance with you" I smile.

"Really" he smirks wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Really. I don't want this night to end badly I want to enjoy being here with you" I tell him sweetly.

He smiles and leads me back into the tent we head straight for the dance floor. He pulls me close to him and we start to dance. He is holding me close to him and just like that everything fades away and he's all I can see.

***

"Oh I'm so glad you could make it" Joana says hugging me.

The party is over and we are saying our farewells. I have to admit tonight turned out much better than I thought it would. I really had fun and I enjoyed with Giovanni and his family and I am happy.

"I had a wonderful time" I tell her honestly. "Thank you for inviting me"

"Anytime" she hugs me again. "Will you two be at brunch tomorrow?" she asks Giovanni.

He looks at me then back at her and I don't know what he is going to say but I can see that he's leaning towards a no.

"Yes" I say before he can.

I look up at him and he has a worried look on his face but he doesn't say anything I frown I don't know why but I have a feeling that I'm missing something. After we say our good nights Giovanni took me home and made love to me.

I wake from my sleep as a coldness ran through me I turn on my side looking for Giovanni but he isn't there. I look over at the clock to see that it's after three in the morning. I crawl out of bed and into the closet.

I took down one of his shirts and put it on I then went in search of him. I walk into the living room and the soft sounds of the piano fills my ears. I walk into the room and watch as he plays a sad piece.

I stand and what as he plays the piece over and over again. It's so sad and painful. Why so sad Gio? He starts playing the again I can't take much more of this I walk up to him and sat down taking his hand into me.

I look up at him and he has a sad look on his face as if he has something deep bothering him. I reach up and stroke his cheek as he relaxes under my touch.

"What's wrong talk to me" I say softly.

He shakes his head and takes to his feet. "Ali I don't want to hurt you" he says seriously.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"Ali tomorrow is..." he stops and I can see pain all over his face.

I looked down at his chest and he's wearing a shirt and I know that it has to do with his accident and I can't imagine what he must be going through. I walk up to him and reach out to place my hands on his chest and he pulls away.