small talk

"Kylee, come down here" my mom yelled from the towel she was sitting on at the beach. I got up and crossed my arms, in a I'm cold way not a mean way.

I walked down to my mom and Edwin's parents. "come here, I need to talk to you" my mom said as we stepped aside. "yeah?" I said. "I don't know what's with your attitude toward Edwin and Brent, but you need to be nice to them, there gonna be around a lot." My mom said and I rolled my eyes.

"would you please do this, be nice Kylee. you and Edwin use to be very good friends, just talk about younger times or-" I interrupted my mom "ok mom, I'll find something to talk about" I said and walked over to were the beach entrance was.

I stood there with my feet in the sand. I still had my shirt on, and was still shivering. Brent, Edwin, and Cassie all walked over to me.

"wanna come in the water with us? Sorry we were rude at first" Brent said. I looked down at my feet. I remembered what my mom said; "for me."

I looked back up and smiled. "I'm sorry I was rude too, I should give you guys a chance and learn who you've become," I said looking at Edwin. Cassie looked at me weird.

"guys, come eat!" Ashely, Edwin's mom yelled. thank the lord. I ran toward them followed by the rest of them. we all walked up to our patio, where Ryan had been grilling hamburgers.

"cheese or no cheese Kylee," Ryan asked me, seeing as I was the first one who got up to the house. "umm-" I started but my mom jumped in, "Kylee" my mom gave me a look.

I assumed the look meant "let the guests go first" so I looked at Edwin and Brent who had just got up to my house. "Edwin, Brent," I said gesturing for them to go first.

Brent, Edwin, Cassie, Ashely, and my mom all got food. then finally, I got to go last. I took a cheeseburger with pickles and Cheetos. We all sat at the table on our patio, with a view of the sun beginning to set and the sound of the waves hitting the sand.

"so, Kylee, where do you plan to go for college" Edwin asked and I made a face, hoping only Edwin saw. he chuckled. "Carlsbad university." I said taking a bite of my chip.

"how about you," I asked. "well, either a community college in Anaheim, or Carlsbad university." He said and my heart dropped.

my dog started barking, and Cassie went to see who was at the door. after a minute or two she came out and looked at Edwin, then at me.

"umm Kylee," Cassie said and gestured me inside. I stood up nervously and started to walk inside.

& then I saw what my sister was talking about. Caleb Reynolds. my boyfriend.

I squealed with excitement and run and jumped in his arms. he's been away in England for a month! I had no idea he was coming back today!

he spun around with me in his arms and when he put me down, I saw Edwin with the saddest face in the world... he was throwing his plate away.

my smile faded at his face. Caleb & I have been dating for 8months; and it's been nothing compared to Edwin & I.

"Caleb, I'm so happy to see you. but my moms friends are over right now, maybe we can hang out tomorrow?" I said as nice as possible.

"yeah, yeah. I just wanted to say hi. I'm meeting up with Maddie" he said and my face was weird. "Maddie?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"yeah. we're close, you know.." He said rudely. "oh okay.. have fun." I said kinda hurt. "don't worry about me, it's always fun with maddie" he laughed and like that, he was gone. leaving me with a blank expression...