That Scent

Chrome's POV

My phone rings, Louis' name spelled in bold white letters. I took my eyes off the road for a moment, picking it up.

"Yeah?" I asked casually greeting my father. He laughs on the other end.

"I've found someone suitable for you."

I dropped the call before he could say anything else.

He's so full of blind dates. Blind dates here, blind dates there. Couldn't he just stop and let me find someone by myself?

Right...He knows I'll always pick her.

Daphne.

Damn.

I pushed her back into the bottle, locking it firmly. I didn't want her to ruin my day. Didn't want her to ruin me.

But she makes my day. And she's already done it.

That leaves me confused.

I took a turn and parked swiftly on the empty lot, quickly getting out of the car. Making sure it was locked, I strode towards the elevator.

****

Another frustrating day with her disturbing me. I couldn't even finish a report on the production rate of clothes. I sigh, flipping my schedule open for the day. Michelle patiently stands beside me, her hands open.

I had a photoshoot next.

I handed it back, thanking her. She smiles and bows to me before leaving the room.

I followed after her, collecting the things I needed. She directs me to the other building where Tuck awaited my arrival.

****

"Mr. Ashfield, why are you so glum today?" He asked, putting his camera away. Tuck was eyeing me with curiosity, sending how disturbed I was. He asks again,"Did something happen at work?"

I shook my head, sitting down for a while. He approached me, giving me another scolding about how important I was to the magazine. I was their top model and they can't risk another reschedule.

Daphne...even still, a year, wasn't enough to forget her. Erase her. Throw her.

I gathered what was left of me, and posed another shot.

I was K magazine's fierce-look top model. The kind of model that never smiled, laughed, made a cute face. I was sick of making those things. And the very reason I didn't like those expressions was pushed forcibly into the back of my head. My heart.

I posed for the forty-seventh time, exhausted.

Tuck grinned through the lenses of his camera. He exclaims, "Splendid, Mr. Ashfield! Splendid!"

I nodded to him, not feeling to flash another smile again. It makes Tuck disappointed.

"You know what, I somehow missed your old smiley self, Chrome." He mutters, scratching the back of his head.

Didn't want a say in that, I left the room. Michelle apologizes to Tuck's crew, running behind me.

My phone rings.

And it's another blind date setup, I knew.

I turned to the direction of the basement parking, heading to the luxurious vehicle that waited for me. I turned the ignition on, the machine revs to life. I drove out of the company, carrying my ticking temper with me.

I hated people talking about me. My past. My life. The more I hated the talks about my love that circulated back and forth in the business. I spit at the rumors.

I turned the car engine off, stumbling out. I went over the front door where my father was standing. He grins to me, a strong good pat delivered at my back. He leads me into the cafe, where the same bimbo I ditched waited. She waves to us, her nails painted violet. The very color that reminded me of Daphne.

Everything was her.

Everywhere was her.

All I see was her.

I cleared my throat and settle beside my father who seated us both facing the twenty-five old woman.

"Hi, I'm Natalie Greg, the girl you ditched." She introduces, standing as she did so. I already saw through the tone of her voice that she was the same as everybody else. I decided to play a little before breaking it to her.

What a blabbermouth.

She's talking all the time. Laughing all the time. Flirting all the time.

And I hated women like her.

I hated women like Daphne.

I wanted someone serious. Someone real. Someone who's not blinded by who I was.

Therefore, I decided to end this.

"Then, when the tourist said---"

I slammed my palm onto the table, cutting her off. She looks.at me with wide eyes, shocked at what I did. She stammers, "Did I say something wrong?"

I gave her my stern look. Getting straight to the point. My father clears his throat beside me.

"I'm sorry but I have somewhere to go to," I said, rather breaking it to her gently. I pushed my seat back, standing up, ready to leave the shop.

She stared at me, wide eyed. "Can I call you?"

Now that was my cue to stop this.
I frowned, smiling after that. "That wouldn't be necessary. Goodbye."

The first smile I've managed to have was a fake.

At least.

I opened the door of my car, irritated. As soon as I had sat, my phone rings.

Louis.

I dropped the call, driving out of the shop. I wanted somewhere quieter. I wanted somewhere I could think. Somewhere I was safe. Somewhere I wasn't pressured. Somewhere high up.

Heaven? No.

I just know where that place is.

****

The staircase leading to the top of the building was long and draggy. It was so silent, the jingle of my car keys echoed down bouncing on every solid. I gaze up to the brightness ahead.

I stepped out.

Realizing...

I wasn't alone.

There was someone.

There was a girl.

The scent. That scent.

I drop my car keys. Making her turn.

She turns.

Oh my god. She slowly turns.

It's was as if everything was in slow motion. And the person standing there was doing it.

She faces me.

My jaw drops.

I hold the railings support.