Family Date?! 0.1

My phone rings and I hurried from the kitchen to take the call.

It was from Mrs. Smith, the last three blocks down. Her daughter's name is Orly and I am her current babysitter. Tomorrow is Saturday, our schedule.

"Good morning Mrs. Smith!" I greet, balancing the phone on my shoulder.

"Good morning Kaye. I'm going on a business trip tomorrow until Wednesday. Can you babysit Orly?"

"Of course, Mrs. Smith," I answered. I could never forget her kindness. She helped up sometimes with the expenses back then when I was still new at managing both my brother's life and mine. I'm somewhat in debt to her.

"Oh thank you so much, I'll be out until Tuesday. Can you take care of her then, at your home?"

"No worries, I'll make sure she's having fun with me."

"Thank you again dear. I'm dropping her off tomorrow early morning," She says, hanging up.

I smiled, going back to the kitchen.

*****
Saturday

"Hiya, Kaye!" She cheered her apple color cheeks puffing at me, "You're my momma now!" Orly lunges at me, her chubby arms trying to wrap themselves around my legs. I chuckled. Mrs. Smith waves at us from the company van who's taking her to the airport.

I closed the door after Mrs. Smith was out of eyesight.

"Whatchall we do now, Kaye?"

"What would you like to do?" I asked her back, sitting down to have her height level. Keith closed his door and as soon as Orly saw him, his eyes were saucers. Orly tries to lunge at him, but he dodges it. Orly hits her head on the edge of the couch.

"Don't be like that to a baby!" I scold Keith who shrugged and answered, "She's going to mess my uniform up."

"Still," I said, "Orly, come here." I cooed to her and Keith pats me on the shoulder indicating that he was leaving for school. I nod, pulling out his transportation money from my pocket.

"Take care." I say to him and he nods, closing the door.

I looked back at Orly who clung at my waist. She was smiling. "Kaye, I want to go to the zoo!"

"But it's dangerous. We can't," I say, picking her up in my arms, carrying her. She whimpers, "Please?"

"I can't Orly, I have work to do."

"What's wolk?"

"Work is normal for an adult like me. We get money through work."

"If I work, will I get lots and lots of money? Can I be rich?"

"Yes, you can. But not now. You're still too young, Orly."

"But I wanna buy lots and lots of toys!"

I laughed at her innocence. I wish I'd turn back time and be a child again. She runs around the room, hopping on the couch. "Okay, okay, stay there and I'll take you to work."

"Really?" She cheered.

I continued keeping the kitchen to the proper order and giving Orly a plate of sandwiches before sending Jake a message that I'll be there in half an hour.

I bathed, washed myself and threw jeans on me and a shirt just big enough to be comfortable. I don't care what Chrome says, I'm cooler when I dress like this. It's just perfect and cozy.

Orly was already finishing the last of her sandwiches, gulping down a glass of water. I help her with her backpack, filled with the goodies she wanted to take from my snack cabinet. You know, babysitting kids...always be prepared. I packed her a jug of water and a shirt from her luggage her mother gave me for her to use in her mother's absences. Then we were ready.

I hailed a cab outside and we slipped in. I gave directions to Chrome's office, Jake waiting for me outside the doors.

As soon as we got off, Jake's eyes were on Orly. I smiled, dropping to her height. "Orly meet Jake. Jake meet Orly."

"Who is she?" Jake asked, touching her head that was held down because she was shy. Her chubby cheeks puffed and reddened, "She's my baby." I say, standing up.

"I'm Kaye's baby, Jake. She's my momma until Choosday." Orly repeats, now grinning up to Jake.

"Really?" Was all Jake could say over and over again.

"She the one I'm baby sitting three blocks down where I live."

"Oh," He reacts, "Mr. Ashfield is waiting for you upstairs. Let's go."

*****

I entered the same stiffly designed office except for the green plants that decorated it with a little life. Chrome had his back turned on us and I cleared my throat as Jake leaves us alone.

Orly hid behind me. Chrome turns, an annoyed look on his face.

"Our date should've started an hour ago. I've cancelled our bungee jumping today."

"Is that so? I have a better idea. Can we go to the zoo?" That's right, Orly would feel better going and we'd still save this "date" of ours.

"The zoo?" He cocked a brow at me and Orly runs to him in hypnotism.

She loves handsome boys. Okay.

"Mister, what's your name? I'm Orly."

"Who's this?" Chrome still hadn't broken his eyes at me. "Why did you bring her with you?"

"Don't be so cold. She's the one I said I baby sitted."

"Oh," his barrier breaks down and he sits to her height, "Don't disturb us. We're going to go on a date. Loraine will send you home."

"But," Orly frowns, tears welling in her eyes, "Kaye has work and I want to go to the zoo."

"Come on Chrome, I can't possibly leave her. She's my responsibility."

"But she's a disturbance."

"No, she isn't," I say, my insides were grinning and jumping. I could see envy and annoyance in his eyes. But is it really there? Or is it just my over-thinking head?

He sighs, Orly was still staring at him with wide eyes. "Um, what's a date?"

"It's when two people of the opposite--" he starts but I cut him off. Taking Orly away from him, I said, "It's a trip. We're going to go and see places."

In the corner of my eye, Chrome was smiling, shaking his head, "Why do you always change the real definition of things?"

"She's a child." I retorted, "Innocence is what makes a child a child."

"She's still going to grow up you know," he says, "And sooner or later she's going to know about making love and things."

When he said the words about mking love, I covered Orly's ears with both my palms, humming her a loud tune.

Chrome laughs, "Okay, okay, mother hen."

"Can you just stop spouting adult words I front of a child?"

He walks over to me and grins, "Do you really want me to say it only to you for the entire afternoon?"

0/////0
    -

I gulped, turning away from him to hide the red tide on my cheeks. He strode past me, putting his hands inside his slacks pockets. "Come on, we haven't got all day," he calls, pushing the elevator buttons.

I carried Orly in my arms and hurried after Chrome inside the elevator.

Making sure to put a very large space between us. And his smile was unmistakably amused of me.

****

First of all, I am deeply sorry for the late update. School had started just last week and I was bombarded with school works. And I can't exclude memorizing the whole Cations and Anions of the table of elements. So I'm squeezing my updates in to make this story still pumping. I am deeply sorry again.

I hope you like the part on of the Family Date?! Chapters :D

Love you!!!! ^_^