It Always Has to Leave

I had nothing to say.

I had nothing to say when he accused me. I had nothing to say when Daphne had woken up. I had nothing to say to explain what happened or why I did it. I had nothing to say.

I swallowed as Chrome looked at me intently in the eyes. Jake behind him had his head down but I can feel his glare too. I had nothing to say.

Chrome takes a step towards me and I took a step back. "You almost murdered them." He says, voice dark and dangerous. I wanted to say something but my mouth just stays clamped.

I was afraid.

I need someone.

Daphne looks at me with a blank stare as if she's never seen me before.

"I-I-I didn't cause that accident!" I finally managed to spurt out but they didn't look convinced.

"She could've done it," Daphne mutters, "But I don't remember. Who is she anyway?"

What's this, selective amnesia?

I pushed past Chrome, my hands shaking as I brushed him aside. I went over to Daphne, demanding the truth.

"Tell him I didn't do it! Tell him!" My voice was shrieking and it was painful to use such pitch but I was on the verge of judgement here.

I was always like this. Whenever I'm accused of something I didn't do, I cry.

Daphne stay silent. I clenched my fists by my sides, freeing one to shake her, jolt her awake.

She stares blankly at me. As if I never existed before.

"Come on, Daphne, tell him!"

She opens her mouth but nothing.

Chrome laughs. "Ever since you came my life's been messed up. And now, after all Louis and I have done for you, this is what you give? You want to kill them both? For what?" He pauses, looking at me. My tears wear gathering, blurring my vision.

Damn, I'm so weak.

"For what, Kaye? You want money?! You want to alleviate you and your brother? You want to be my real wife with nothing like Daphne in your way?" He spat, slamming a fist on the end of Daphne's bed. I jumped at the fear he inflicts in me.

No. I didn't do it.

Chrome's face was darker than I've ever seen before. "Get out," he orders me, "Come see me at court tomorrow."

"I didn't do it! I promise!" I insisted as Jake pushes me out. I slipped a hand out to grab his arm. I grabbed it.

But he threw my hand away, slamming hard on the metal cruves of the bed. I hear the crunch of bones and I closed my eyes to the pain.

I whispered, "Believe me."

*****

Jake drags me out like I'm someone he's never been friends with before. I knew his loyalty was to Louis...but to do this to me? Do I even mean anything to him? To Chrome? To their lives?

Nathan stands up, seeing me thrown on the hospital floor. Jake coldly turns to me, his sunglasses as emotionless as ever, "I never thought you'd do it." He slides the door shut on my face. Nathan rushed to my side, helping me up.

I carefully made sure I hadn't pressured my hand. It was hurting so much.

"Are you okay? What happened in there?" Nathan asks, brushing strands of my hair. Then tears fall.

"What did he do to you again?" He asks another question. I turned away from him, "Nothing."

"Nothing is not a reason for someone to cry. I heard everything."