Just When I Thought

I pushed him away, tears streaming from my eyes.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I cried. He looks at me intently in the eyes. He wipes his mouth with his sleeve just as I did with mine.

"Why did you kiss me?"

He doesn't answer.

"Why Chrome, why?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know? If you haven't got the reasons to kiss me then why?"

"I just wanted to kiss you."

"Wanted? Just when I thought you've thrown me away, you suddenly do that to me?"

"Do you hate me kissing you?"

"Don't switch the topic!"

"I suppose he's a better kisser than I am."

"What do you mean? Nathan?"

"You did kiss."

"No, we didn't."

"Just admit it Kaye. You already like him."

"Then what's the matter with you? Didn't you want to make me disappear?"

"Disappear? Who told you I wanted you gone?"

"It's the basic thought! Daphne has finally returned and you leave me alone just like back at the beach. Stranded and confused."

He doesn't answer, instead he looks away, sighing.

"See? You're just playing with me."

"Why did you both go on a date?"

"Then, why were you with Daphne? Same as you, we went to a date because we wanted to. Chrome, Daphne is back so why do you care? Isn't she the one you wanted to find?"

"Yes, she is."

That hit me like a bullet. But I pressed on to clarify. "Then, I'm ending things for both of us. You love her. You liked me. Let's both pretend that were together even though we aren't and this façade should work on Louis.Working here shouldn't be a problem if we're not involved with each other too much. Business is business. You can call me on important matters only."

"Why does it sound like you're hurt?"

"Personal matters are out of the conversation. Good day, Mr. Ashfield. You can call me whenever I'm needed."

I closed the door behind me, luckily, the hall was empty. There was no Loraine and no Jake. I proceeded to my table where Loraine once sat and looked up on the list of work I had to do. Thankfully Loraine provided me the list instead of asking Chrome of what he bids for me to do.

But did I really sound hurt? Yes, I was hurting but he shouldn't know.

Move on and forget.

****

I printed the last of the proposal copies for the board for tomorrow's meeting. They were planning for a new product since December was fast approaching.

I flipped a copy.

So this company majored in toy and clothing production.

Quite unexpected. That's how he got his fashion sense.

Loraine's heels clacked on the marble floors as she passed by my table. I took the chance to ask her, "Excuse me, Loraine, who's the fashion coordinator?"

"Yes, Mrs.-oh sorry-Ms. Green? The fashion coordinator?"

"Yes."

"Its Miss Daphne. But currently, Grace manages the designs."

Oh. Daphne. I nodded, she smiles at me and goes into Chrome's office.

Chrome and Daphne. Two beings in an imperfect world. So alike. So similar.

The bond between them was deeper than I had known.

I could only imagine them both designing clothes and Chrome judging how they looked.

I envy Daphne. So much.

I bit my lip, clearing my throat of the threatening croaking voice.

****

It was 5:30 and time to go home. I checked my watch that miserably turned brown because of it's age. Was it possible for me to ride the train at this time?

Loraine switched her lamp off, carrying her bag with her. I did the same. "Are you going home with Mr.Ashfield Miss Green?"

"No," I answered her with a small smile, pressing the elevator buttons. The door opens and Loraine gets in.

We hear Chrome's door close. Loraind smiles. "Kaye, do you have a ride home?"

Loraine whispers to me, smiling, "I'll leave first, Miss Green." She closes the door, leaving me.

I watched the moment pass with my mouth open.

"Kaye?"

"Uh, no." I amswered him, shyly turning around. But I knew I should toughen myself up. I pressed the elevator buttons again and the arrow goes up. "I'm taking the bullet train today."

"But isn't that too expensive?"

"Yes," I say as the elevator opens, "Good day, Mr.Ashfield. Take care."

We watched each other's faces as the elevator closes me in.

Now, my face is staring back at me from the metal doors of the elevator. I sigh.