Another Day

I opened my eyes to the bright morning of early spring. The birds were chirping and the air was crisp. I immediately got out of my warm covers, my pyjamas white and fluffy. I landed on the carpeted floor, my toes sinking into soft ground. I got out of my room, a maid passing by me. She greets me with a hello.

How beautiful can life be?

I descended the twin staircase that magnificently curved over the lower floor of the house, the front doors carved with an intricate pattern of flowers. My feet thumps upon the carpet.

I turned to my left, following the smell from the kitchen.

My brother sat on one of the chairs, my mom on the other.

My mom.

But I didn't cry.

I sat beside her on the rectangular long table, a maid serving me with a cup of coffee. I smiled at her, and she leaves my side. She stops beside the person across me to ask for what he wanted. She nods and curtsy. The person across me closes his newspaper and I gasp.

You've got to be kidding me.

Why is Chrome "Choosy" Ashfield here?

I woke up with a start. My heart beating insanely against my chest, struggling to go out.

It was all a dream. A relief. A figment of my imagination. Not real. Just a dream.

I pulled myself off my covers, not feeling to sleep anymore. I head to the kitchen to make myself coffee.

As I reached the kitchen, a loud knock came from the front door.

"Keith?" I asked, thinking my brother was behind the door.

The door fell with a loud bang! The hinges creaking.

A bulky man stood on the doorway, his muscled arms on his side. He had a gloomy face plastered on.

With shaking hands, I fumbled for a knife behind my back.

"W-who are you?" I stammered, almost slipping the knife off my hands.

"You should ask your brother that," he replied with a booming voice that made me close my eyes.

"What's with Keith?" I asked,clearing my throat to appear more brave. But even if I am, he still took out the fear in me.

"I am here to collect my hundred thousand dollars." He continued, "Where is it?"

"What hundred thousand? W-we aren't that rich." I answered

"He owes me my money."

"We don't know you so back off." I took out the knife behind my back pointing it to him. Instead of flinching away, he approached me.

"If I don't get it by the end of the week, say goodbye to your precious little brother." He threatened me, bringing his hands upon my face to squeeze it painfully.

"Where is he?" I asked, punching him on his arms.

But he slaps me hard instead.

"I said pay me back my money first then I'll give you your brother," he chuckled.

Man, I'm going to have bruises.

He left me without another word. His footsteps echoing through the floorboards. I still had the knife in hand. I contemplated to kill him.

But no, it'll just get worst.

I stared at the opening, the wood cracked and torn. Suddenly, I shook, tears streaming down my face in worry.

Oh my god, Keith what have you gotten into?

He knows he shouldn't stray away. He knows all my sacrifices. But why would he owe someone money? Haven't I given him enough to live? Haven't I gave my all to let him finish and reach his dreams?

I threw the knife, it skittered along the floor, in anger.

But this was no time to cry.

I wiped my tears, standing up.

I had a job to do. I need to collect money at the end of the week. I have to go to work. I have to ask an advanced paycheck.

I have to.

No...

I need to.

***

I sighed, leaning on the counter by the cash register.

It was a quiet day and there were no customers yet. So I drowned myself in tallying all the money I saved and all the money I could scrape up.

Then, the door opens.

In came the elderly Mr. Ashfield.

Good...to make matters worse.

Having a date with his son the other day was as bad as hell.

"Good morning," he says, sitting down on one of the plush sofas by the waiting corner, "Why do you look like that, dear?"

Dear? The heck?

"None of your business." I replied, backing away to put more spaces between us.

He smiles and chuckled, his fake teeth showing. "I know dating Chrome was as surprising as a sudden snowfall in the tropics, but it shouldn't be that bad. He's handsome and rich."

I threw him a look of disgust. "So, you're thinking I'm a common gold digger."

"No, I wouldn't name it that way," he shrugged, his cane tapping the floor, "But you're desperate for money, aren't you?"

I knotted my brows, looking away in defeat.

"I heard about your brother, Kaye." He said, shaking his head, "Poor lad, in order to get out of his struggling state, he went into that trouble."

"Why are you here? Are you here to torment me, saying I didn't do enough? I didn't sacrifice enough?" I asked, putting the tally pad down onto the counter.

"No, I'm here to give you another proposal."

I ran a hand through my hair, sick of his offers. "What? Are you asking me to marry your son?" I said the very obvious thing inside my head, not filtering it.

"Yes." He answered with great assurance and a very, very, wide smile.

Then, I realized. I previewed everything. I rewined what I said.

Oh my heavens!

Oh my god.

"You're kidding me right?" I asked, laughing, "It's not funny."

"You're laughing. Then, it's as true as I said. You're going to be married to him."

I licked my lips, shutting my eyes.

"In a contract."

Then, I thought rationally.

This was going to solve everything.

"What can I gain from this offer?"

I have to bow down. My brother is everything I have.

"A hundred thousand dollars at the end of the week, as an advance pay check. I would even fund your brother's education."

I threw my pride away by asking him another question.

"When do I start?"

He smiled in satisfaction, standing up. He tapped his cane again and answered, "Tomorrow, I'll have everything ready by then."