Chapter 9

I opened the door and when Jonas saw what I saw, he followed me immediately. "Gianlucaaa!" I screamed. I ran towards the ambulance where some people had taken Gianluca out. "No!" I cried. "What happened?" I asked, while looking to Gianluca, who was lying lifeless and full of blood and scratches on a stretcher. But no one answered. They only asked me who I was. "I'm his girlfriend! I mean his fiancée!" I said, hoping they would believe me. "It's true," Jonas said. While this all happened, they drove Gianluca inside the hospital. "Gianluca?" I said, taking his hand. "Signorina, please, we need to hurry," someone said, meaning I had to let Gianluca's hand go. Meanwhile we were already where they had to be. And before I even noticed it that well, they were already gone. I stood there with my mouth open. Not believing what just happened. Jonas embraced me. "I wish I could say something. But I'm also in shock," he only said. And then I started crying. Jonas cried to, so we stood there together in the middle of the corridor. We didn't even know what happened. "I'm afraid!" I said. "Me too!" Jonas answered.

After a few minutes of standing there like that, Jonas suggested to go to Carlotta's room and tell her and Piero about the news. I didn't know what happened but I was resolute about one thing, I...was not going to leave Gianluca anymore. I wanted to stay there and wait until I could see him again. And after that I would follow him to the next place he needed to be, and so on. "You can go!" I said. "Are you sure?" he asked worried. "Yes," I said, while wiping some tears of my cheeck. He only laid his hand on my shoulder for a second or two and then left in the direction of Carlotta's room.

Five minutes later he was already back. Piero was with him. "Aline," he said with his arms open, ready to give me a long hug. He had cried too, that was very obvious. I could see that in his eyes. Or I could see it because he just started crying again. "Do you know already what happened?" Piero asked. "No," I said sad. And then Piero walked to the first nurse he saw and asked her our question. Apparently she couldn't help us further. It was like in the movies. Why can't they just tell us what happened, or where they found him and in what situation. "We forgot something!" Jonas said then. "What?" Piero asked. "We need to tell it to his parents!" That was definately not an easy thing to do. Certainly not because we didn't even know what we had to say. "And Ignazio!" Piero added. "Mom, dad, Liene, Barbara, Ernesto...They all need to know it!" I said. "But I'm not gonna do it." "I understand that, maybe you should sit for a while!" But I was still not like Gianluca, I couldn't sit on a chair and wait. "No," I said. "Eh, okay...I'll call mom now,' Jonas said. Piero was going to call Gianluca's parents. I stood next to Piero while he called Ercole, crying a bit but feeling a lot worse then it seemed. "Ercole, hi it's Piero. I think you should sit down. I need to tell you something!" Meanwhile, Jonas was talking to our mother. "We don't know anything yet!" But right at that moment, someone came out of the room. I almost bumped into the person when I ran to him while asking what had happened to Gianluca. Just one second later, Piero and Jonas were standing next to me. Piero laid his hand on my shoulder, like he already knew it was going to be very bad news , so he could comfort me. "I think it's best if you sit down!" the doctor said carefully, probably expecting hysterical reactions immediately, but I was paralysed. Only that sentence told us already that there was something wrong. Very wrong!