Chapter 11

"His situation is stable!" the doctor said. Piero and I looked to each other with a big smile. It was the best thing I ever heard. Okay no, of course not because he was not awake and we still didn't know in what condition he would wake up. Maybe he would have a handicap for the rest of his life. In that case, I would take care of him till the end of my days.
"That's...good!" Piero said. "You can now visit him whenever you like," the docter said smiling because he realised of course he made us a bit more happy with news like that. "Grazie," Piero said and as soon as possible we were inside. "Ciao Gian!" Piero said to him. It was such a weird feeling, talking to Gianluca although he didn't respond. "Hello Gianluca," I said, but not a single sign that he heard me. The only thing I saw was his breathing, but that was not even very obvious. For the rest, he lay there like he was...dead. "He's gonna come out of this!" Piero said after laying his arm around my shoulder. "His situation is already stable! So he can do this. Remember that it's only a few hours since the accident." He was right, but to me it felt like days, probably because of all the waiting. "I let you alone with him for a moment while I'm gonna tell it to the rest. I nodded, because I couldn't say a lot anymore. I could any moment burst into tears again, which I did the second after Piero left. "Gianluca, if you hear this...come back!" Then I kissed him on his mouth, hoping my prince charming would wake up. Unfortunately, this was not a fairytale, nor a dream or nightmare. So nothing happened. Then I tried to give him a hug, but that was quite difficult, with him laying on a bed and his arm broken. I also didn't want to do anything that could make his situation worse again, so I barely touched him in my attempt of hugging him. "Ti amo," I said and than I sat down on a chair next to his bed. I imagined he was just asleep because talking to him without him responding was like he didn't live at all. I looked at him for the rest of the time I had alone with him, thinking about how beautiful he was, even with scratches on his face.

When the others entered the room, I could only see how devastated Leonora seemed. Of course things like this were even worse for the mother, but I didn't know how someone could feel worse than me.

10 hours later

Some of us went home to sleep for a while. I didn't, I only slept for a few minutes on the chair in Gianluca's room. I left once to go to the bathroom and on the other moments I watched Gianluca 'sleep'. The others sometimes talked to him. I couldn't. Then someone knocked on the door. Ernesto opened it and Ignazio walked inside, immediately embracing Ernesto.

Ignazio looked to Gianluca. It seemed he had a difficult time. "Hi, Gianluca. I don't know what to say actually." A tear fell down his face. It was weird to see him cry. I never saw him cry. I only knew the happy Ignazio. The whole 'il volo family' was always so happy. But nothing of that remained after just one day. Although it actually was very beautiful to see Ignazio cry for a friend, I wished I never had to see this. Ignazio came towards me with his arms wide open. I stood up and embraced him, but I couldn't help but wishing I held Gianluca in my arms like that.

Two days later

My parents and younger sister, Liene, had arrived in Italy too. They came as soon as possible, what was of course a lot later then all the people who lived in Italy. For the rest, nothing had changed. Gianluca hadn't changed his position at all. Not even a little bit. I lead my hand on his breast. It was a relief to feel his heart beating in a normal rate. I was alone in the room so I went with my hand through his hair. Then I let my hand slide to his soft cheecks. With my fingertips I touched his lips. "You're so beautiful!" I whispered. "How I wish I could see your gorgeous smile again!" I said while making a figure with my fingertips on his mouth in the shape off a smile. I was surprised I finally could talk to him. Probably because I was already used to the situation. It had been only three days but it felt like I sat next to his bed for three months! Unexpected someone opened the door, right at the moment I wanted to talk further to Gianluca. "Ciao Aline, can I come in?" Ignazio said. "Sure!" He stopped next to the bed. "Ciao Gian!" he said while laying his hand on Gianluca's shoulder. We probably all hoped he could feel and hear things. If that was the case, he barely heard me talking. So I made sure he could feel me. I let my hand slide on his arm, the one that was not broken, because I definately didn't want to hurt him. If he could feel things, he could also get hurt probably.

"The Ilvolovers are devastated too!" Ignazio said. But what the fans thought didn't bother me much. "Thousands of people are praying for him," he said. "If there is a God above he will hear it! And he will see how much the world is gonna suffer without such a wonderfull person!" "Maybe," I said, not knowing if I actually believed in someone like a god. My most important wish still didn't come true. So I had my doubts about the existance of a god. Ignazio put a card on the table behind the bed. "For when he wakes up!" he said to me. I smiled. It was a simple gesture of him. Simple but very sweet.

Three days later

"Gianluca. Do you hear me? Mi manchi!" I swear I saw him move a bit. "It must have been an imagination" I thought. I sat on the edge of his bed, holding his hand, which was luckily warm enough to know he was not dead. It was 2.30 after midnight but that didn't matter. Since Gianluca was in the hospital, I didn't always sleep at night. I only wanted to close my eyes when I really couldn't stay awake anymore. So I only took a nap sometimes, nothing more. I looked out of the window and saw a lot of stars. Since my previous wish still didn't come out, I decided to watch carefully to the stars, hoping to see one fall so I could make another wish. The same wish actually but better!