Chapter 21

"Hi, Ignazio...can we talk?" I said carefully, hoping I didn't wake him up because it was already after midnight actually. That's why I just decided it would be better to go back to Italy after I slept a bit. But before going to sleep I really needed to talk to Ignazio. Because due to that sudden confession from Ignazio, I was not only in Belgium to think about Gianluca but also about him. How was it possible he was in love with me? I was a girl that never gets a lot of attention from boys. And then all of a sudden, it seems two thirds of Il Volo were in love with me? I felt guilty to make him fall in love with me without I even noticed. Besides, I already had Gianluca, so there was nothing I could do for Ignazio than just talk with him.

"I was wondering..." I hesitated a bit. It was not that easy to talk about love with one of my best friends, who apparently was in love with me. "Why I fell in love with you?" Ignazio ended my sentence. "Eh...yeah." It was silent on the other side. "Igna?" But then he took a deep breath. "No one knows but I really suffer a lot from my break up with Melania." That's right, Ignazio apparently had a girlfriend before I came back to Gianluca 5 months ago. But I never saw Melania because I hadn't seen Il Volo for a long time before my brother's wedding. Gianluca said once, they were very close, Ignazio and Melania. Like me and Gianluca. But apparently she was a liar too, because she had someone else in the end. We all thought he had forgotten it quite fast. Because he never spoke about her anymore and in the beginning after their break up he said he was happy he wasn't a couple with such a stupid and dumb person anymore. "I was devastated. Really! I thought she was an honest and beautiful person and that we would stay forever together. But after the break up I only could think about how bad some people are. I thought every girl was the same. I didn't believe anymore in the goodness of some people. Besides I missed her. I missed the good days. But of course I didn't want her back because she was actually a bitch. But I missed cuddling and feeling happy!" Ignazio continued telling his story, like it was a real book he read for me. I listened patiently and felt his pain through the phone. "And then you came back. I saw you and Gianluca cuddling and kissing all the time. And when a man with lovesickness sees another beautiful couple, he is even more lovesick...or jealous. You understand? I started to feel jealous at you two! Because, you probably know it yourself, Gianluca and you are quite a cute couple!" I smiled with that. He was in love with me but still he wanted me and Gianluca to be together. That's for sure. "So I was jealous. But later I realized I wasn't jealous at you two as a couple, but at...Gianluca!" I almost started to cry. That was such a sad story, especially now, when I realized that we always hurt his feelings when we were together. "I'm so sorry!" I said, with the tears ready to come out of my eyes. "You don't have to feel sorry! Such things happen. I couldn't choose who I fell in love with. I know you and Gianluca are made for each other. Nothing and no one can change that! So I am not even trying. Besides, I would never betray Gianluca! Never!" I smiled with that. He's such a sweety. "Oh, how I wish I could give you a hug right now! I don't want you to feel sad! Especially not because of me!"
"I'm trying my best to forget you, I mean to see you as a normal friend again. It's...difficult!" 

I thought back about his confession. "Igna? You said: 'I THINK I am in love with you! Maybe, it's still more about the fact of having a girlfriend...like me, instead of having...me? You understand what I'm trying to say?"
"Eh...yeah I understand. Actually I don't know. I think you are so good and honest. Where in the world can I find someone with your beautiful characteristics?" I heard him smiling while he said that. "I'll take that as a compliment! And I will help you to find your own grande amore!" It was quiet for a moment. During the silence, I suddenly remembered him bringing me home a few days ago.

"You know," he said, "you're just too special too forget!" I almost blushed by hearing that. Was I really that special? To me I was a boring, shy girl. Even not very gorgeous. "Eh...thanks?"

If I really had payed attention on Ignazio, I should've seen he was almost shy himself when he said that. It was also the first time he said such a thing to me. And I remember how I thought it was strange it came from Ignazio instead of Gianluca. Unfortunately, my memories were not endless either, so I never thought about it after that. Besides, I was too bussy thinking about Gianluca and about nothing else.

"How can someone be better than you?" Ignazio asked sad. I still wondered why everyone thought I was so nice and good? I was a shy, introvert Ilvolover! Wait...Ilvolover? 

"Igna...I know where you can find love!"

"Where?" Ignazio asked like he never believed I would have a solution for his problem. 
"IL.VO.Lover!" I said, articulating very well. "Hu?" Oh, he didn't understand. It was quite simple though. "Let me say it in a different way...Il.Vo.LOVER!" I smiled, quite proud of myself with this wonderful idea. "What do you mean? I'm a bit confused."
 "Okay, human language now. Let me tell you a wonderfull story.

Once upon a time, there was a very handsome and beautiful person, his name was Gianluca Ginoble and he was an Italian singer in Il Volo. He always looked into the eyes of his audience. But he was looking for someone special, his grande amore. And then, one day, he saw a nice young girl in the audience. They immediately fell in love with each other. When they spoke each other, Gianluca realized she was a real Ilvolover! And he had never loved someone more than that girl. And the girl never loved someone else more than him." It was again quiet for a moment and I hoped I didn't upset him with my romantic story about me and Gianluca. "I think I know what you're trying to say!" he said happily.

"YOU, are looking for someone like ME?" I said. "And the fact is... I am just a normal Ilvolover. So I think you should..."
"...look more to the real Ilvolovers to find my grande amore!"
"Indeed!" I said, smiling and feeling happy about my very good conversation with Ignazio.
"Oh, and merry christmass!"

"Merry christmass, Aline!"

Gianluca's POV

The next morning

Piero came as fast as possible that morning, although I didn't had to tell anything more than I said on the phone. Jonas came as well, after visiting Viola. "I'm not sure," he said immediately, "but when people are in a coma, they can feel and hear things, they say. Did you hear or feel anything?"
"Eh...I don't know. Let me think..." They both looked at me with a lot of expectations. Hoping I was gonna spit out a solution for our problem. "Is it stupid if I say... I forgot?" I asked. Jonas smiled. "I expected something like that! But now, I have another theory." I was curious but didn't hope too much, since real solutions never came. "Did you really forget Aline for a 100%? I can't believe that's possible. At least, there must have been a tiny feeling of recognition?" I thought about that. And I remembered I immediately felt a sort of connection between us. But was that the same as recognition? "Think about that for a moment," Jonas said while walking to the chair to sit down while waiting. I tried to concentrate and dig deep into my rare memories. Then I sat up, more than I already did. We all had the same expression on our faces. Eyes wide open and waiting in suspense. But Piero and Jonas probably looked like that because they were hopefull somehow and me, I was amazed about the result of my attempt to think hard. 

"I recognized Aline! I know it for sure. Even though it was just the feeling of connection."

Piero clapped happily in his hands and Jonas smiled too.
"The problem is..." Their smiles left their faces as soon as I said the word 'problem'. 

"...I recognized Chiara too!"