Chapter 16

I was so glad I could see Gianluca smile like before. But more about the fact he already let me back into his life again. We even had funny conversations together, with all the others. But the difficult situation made us forget about a few things. It was almost christmass! We all forgot about it. Untill Ignazio suddenly thought about something related to the food. “Oh and do you remember the christmasdinner two years ago. We were more throwing the food than eating it, haha. Unfortunally we were wasting the delicious meal. Wait a bit, it’s almost christmass!” he said shocked.

We had decided to celebrate it in the hospital, without a big dinner of course. That wasn’t possible. Since Viola and Gianluca were there, it was the most logical thing to do. Gianluca already met Viola. He remembered it apparently. A bit weird, but maybe it's because she was born right before the accident. And it was a very special moment too. Carlotta was not in the hospital anymore, but of course she visited her daughter and Gianluca a lot. Gianluca seemed to know Carlotta as well. Strange how he knew some people more than others, not proportional with the amount of how much he knew them before. So I tried not to worry too much about the fact it was me who he totally had forgotten.

2 days later

Gianluca’s POV

“Come in!” I said after I heard a knock on the door. It was a girl, more woman then girl actually. I didn’t know her, or at least I couldn’t remember if I ever did. “Ciao,” I said, hoping I wouldn’t hurt her feelings if it really was the case that I actually knew her. “Ciao Gian! Do you recognize me?” she asked. Against my will, I thus had to say that I didn't. “It’s okay,” she said friendly. “But…who are you?" I asked. “Oh yeah of course…I'm Chiara Costantini.” It didn't remind me of anyone. She hesitated a bit but then she talked further. “You might not believe it, but we…eh…you and me were secretly…together!” I didn’t understand. “What do you mean, are we… were we dating!” Confusion filled my mind. It was getting complicated. “Yes!” My stomach turned. Really? Was I such a person who cheats on his fiancee. “But I eh..I am going to marry someone else!” She didn’t seemed surprises. “I know,” she said serious. “But we had a plan…”

Aline’s POV

I walked inside very happy. “Ciao Gianluca, how are you feeling today?” He didn’t look very good to be honest. Worse than the last two days. “Eh…I didn’t sleep that well,” he said somber. Of course he had a lot to worry about. I would never try to fall asleep again after waking up from a coma. I sat down on the chair next to his bed and showed him how much memories I had written down already. He didn’t respond very enthusiast. “Are you sure everythings alright?” I asked worried. He nodded his head weakly, not very convincingly. “Can you maybe tell me something about me?” he suddenly asked. “Eh okay! You are Gianluca Gino…” He interrupted me. "No, not in that way! I mean…what do you think about me?” At first I found it a weird question, but of course he didn’t remember all the things I ever said to him. “Well actually, it’s simple…YOU. ARE. PERFECT! In every way!” He seemed to be very surprised and happy at the same time with the big compliment. But I was only starting!

“The way you smile, the way you sing.
How you used to look at me when I'm just doing nothing.
Or when you help an old lady cross the street.
When you embrace me, long and sweet.
And when you spend time with your family,
because you love them so much. That's what I see.
You’re just too good for this world, maybe even too good for me. And when you're near me, you're all I see.
Your hands, your arms, your hair, your eyes, your touch.
Gianluca Ginoble…I love you very much!”

I was surprised of myself. I just loved him so much I even started to rhyme sometimes. He was just as surprised as me, because his mouth stood open from amazement for a long time.

Gianluca’s POV

“Wow!” I said, totally amazed of how much this girl must love me. “Actually, I could say a thousand more things, but perhaps…the believability of my answer would fade away if I did.” I wouldn’t mind if she did. The more I saw her, the more I realised this girl could indeed be my one and only. She probably just was. But what did I had to do with the other girl? I didn’t want to hurt any of them. I also couldn’t tell anyone about Chiara…at least that’s what she told me. At the moment I knew Aline already better than Chiara. And officially, we were going to marry. I even…felt a connection between us. Something special. Actually...I couldn’t help falling in love with her. Again. Probably. And by thinking about that, I remembered I always sang that song at concerts, that Elvis was one of my idols and that I really loved that song!

I sat up in my bed and asked her to sit on the bed as well. “Tell me something about you now?” I asked. “Or tell me what I think about you! It’s possibly very good!” I smiled. She smiled too, obviously charmed by that compliment. “Ehm, well…you think I am...a very good person…Oh this is really hard, talking about myseld like that!” I laughed and knew this was the prove she indeed was a good person. “It’s not the same because I asked you to do! So please,” I said touching her hand without even thinking about it, “go on!” She told me everything I had ever said to her. Or at least she tried, because her memory was also not endless. If I really said all those beautifull things to her, she must be the most special girl on this planet. I can’t imagine me lying about that. I focussed on her beautiful smile for a while. She blushed a bit and wanted to sit in a different way. Because of me looking to her like that, she probably became a bit nervous and almost fell of the bed. I grabbed her by the arm and before I knew her face was very close to mine. My feelings for her took over and I suddenly longed for her lips on mine so badly. I leaned in, just like she did, but when my lips touched hers very softly, I leaned back, thinking about Chiara. If I really betrayed Aline in such a mean way, I couldn’t kiss her! Not until I knew the truth. Unfortunately I couldn’t ask it to someone. Only Chiara and me knew about it. Well actually, only Chiara knew about it. I just accepted it as a truth.

One day later

Chiara visited me again. I barely could believe I secretly had an affair with her. I had to admit she was very beautiful, like a supermodel. But she was not really my type…after  the accident. I didn’t always knew what I thought about things before it. But like I said, she was beautiful but not as gorgeous as Aline, my real fiancee was. She wanted to give me a kiss on the cheek, but I refused. As long as I didn’t know the real truth, I didn’t want to kiss anyone. “Oh, right, I’m sorry,” she said. She was very friendly and the story of how we met and stuff like that was quite believable. Apparently, she worked for a magazine and had to do an interview with us. That’s how we met. Unfortunately, the company from the magazine failed so the interview was never published. It would have been a great evidence of that part of the story. Then, the part about why we didn’t had each others phone number…I didn’t have it because then Aline couldn’t find out and she didn’t have mine because of the fact her friends always looked in her phone to joke around. It was logical somehow but I really couldn’t believe I would have done that. And then there was the part of ‘our plan’. It was quite simple actually…

“Can you give me any other prove about…us? I asked suspicious. “I can tell things about you?” she said. “What things?” She lifted her shoulders. “Everything you want to know!” Unfortunately I couldn’t know if she spoke the truth. I knew a few things, definately not everything. “I knew for example what my favourite colour was. When I asked, she said fast ‘blue'! And of course that was right. How are my parents called? “Ercole Ginoble and Leonora di Vittorio.” And that was right too. But still that was no evidence because I read a lot of biografies about myself and almost everything about me was on the internet. “Do you know something that’s not on the internet?” I asked. She seemed dissapointed. “I'm sorry,” I said, “I don’t want to hurt you. I just don’t know what’s the truth and what not.” Luckily, she understood it. Of course, because this was even complicated and weird without me having lost all the memoties.