#17: Thrill of being an Agent-Max Hare

A/N: This character is from a 2013 version of A Lady Vanishes. It's basically the same character just put in a au instead. ~ Kiya221B 

IMAGINE THIS. 

Your feet nearly slipped outwards on the smooth and immaculate carpet. As you rounded the corner, the stale air shocked your throat and lungs as you inhaled deeper, faster. With each footfall a jarring pain shot ankle to knee. Perhaps jumping from the staircase bannister after sliding down wasn't such a smart idea. Your heart was all you could hear in your ears and it beat frantically, all or nothing. Despite what they thought, you knew the mansion better than they did, those security guys were just pretty boys in uniform.  They were the ones weighed down with guns and batons, not you. This thought made you smirk even in the ridiculous situation you were in.  They panted like dogs near behind you and were getting closer, but you knew you were faster. 

"Agent one." Came an urgent voice in your ear piece, "Are you near the party room? Have you lost them?" 

Your fingers pushed on your ear piece to hear your colleague a little better. Grinning with exhilaration, you glanced behind to see the security guards slowing down, exhausted. "Just about. They're falling behind. Let me find somewhere to get out of this very incriminating costume and I'll join you. Does anyone at the party suspect anything?" 

You could see his smirk in your head,"No, not a peep. Good work. Are the jewels safe?" 

"Yes. I have them now. By the way, how many times have I told you just to call me by my first name, Max?" You managed to pant out glancing down at the black bag in your hand which contained the very thing he was talking about. Turning another corner you hide behind a large grandfather clock, the shadows concealing you with the help of your black clothes. The group of security guards ran past you frowning with confusion when you weren't anywhere to be seen. 

"We're in a professional environment. I will do no such thing." Came the reply. 

"C'mon. I think I heard something down here!" The crowd began running again and you caught sight of the rest of the security guards disappearing down the corridor. "Oh, some of these guys are pretty cute." You muttered watching a few tousle-haired men disappear behind another corner with their group. 

"Behave." Max mumbled in your earpiece. If you didn't know better you'd think he was jealous. Flushing red a little, you smiled,"Now, now. Call me by my name and I will." You stepped out from behind the clock and turned your head left and right. "Okay, there's nobody about. I'm checking out. I'll meet you on the dance floor." 

You swore you could see his smile as he said,"Hope you enjoy the get-up I got you. Be careful, agent one." 

Rolling your eyes, you sighed,"Brilliant. Well, good luck. See you soon, agent two." You pressed a button on your ear piece that turned it off and walked towards a door opposite you that just so happened to be the restroom. Slinging the bag onto the counter, you opened it. The jewels were still safe inside, but underneath was a piece of clothing and a pair of heels that you hadn't noticed earlier when you were stuffing the jewelry in the bag. You stepped back pulling out the dress along with the heels with wide eyes. "Damn it, he knows I hate red." 

It was red alright, so red you could've been a women dripping in it. The image inside your head made you wince. It reminded you too much of blood, something that you were so used to that it seemed wrong to wear it out for a leisure activity. 

Knowing nobody would come in anytime soon, you got dressed on the spot. After taking off your black clothing, the creamy sheets of the silk dress slipped onto your shoulders. It was a simple gown made of soft, satiny fabric, long and loose. A semicircular, high collar made of silk-like materials  headed the ankle-length dress. Turning in front of the large mirror, you had to admit it looked nice in the way it hung off your body. As for the shoes, you weren't sure if you would be able to walk in them properly. Not that they were high, but with all the field work you did you didn't have time for heels and so never wore them often. You hoped this would be a one off and cursed Max for making you wear these little devils. They were black, simple like the dress, but had lace over the front with a small bow.