Chapter 5

Iris had another bad sleep with a nightmare, and that resulted in lack of sleep even more. She thought since the worry of her dad and school and everything else gone, she'd sleep peacefully. But, unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

So, while she sat by herself on a log with a bowl of something that looked like blueberries, her eyes were heavy. A few yawns left her lips as she rubbed her eyes and she wished she could of at least had an extra hour. She finds it hard to get to sleep, and then when she does she has a nightmare which keeps her up for the rest of the night. It's a frustrating cycle for her.

One of the boys around her age, James, notices her sat by herself. He frowns slightly as he watches her pick at her food. She looks lonely and sad, something that James understands too well. He understands what it's like to first be in Neverland, it must be harder being the only girl in camp.

He decides to stand up, which gains him confused looks from the other boys, and go over to Iris. "Hey, Iris, right?"

She looks up at the tall black-haired boy and the way his jaw looks chiseled. She looks at him with her brown eyes wide and nervously stares directly into his sapphire eyes. "Y-Yeah," she says startled. Like no one has acknowledged her existence for a while. "You're James."

"That is correct, can I sit?"

"Oh, yeah of course," she smiles shuffling over slightly, even though there's a full log open for him to sit on.

"So, Iris," he begins, taking a seat next to her. "Where do you come from?"

"A small village in England called Skinningrove," she tells him, giving him a small smile. "It's nothing flash, but I lived close to the beach and that's where me and my best friend went a lot after school."

"Who's that?"

"My best friend? His name was Sam, he was the best person I've ever knew and he was like a brother to me. I loved him with all my heart, he was so kind and always there for me. He looked a little like you actually, but not as tall," she chuckles making James smile. She remembers how complete and safe she felt when Sam was with her.

"Well, I am very tall," he laughs and Iris smiles at him. "Was he the one who gave you those bruises?" He asks quietly, and his voice is suddenly very serious as he points out the dark bruises on her arms and legs.

"N-No, the only time he badly bruised me like this was when we were play fighting and he had me over his shoulder but then dropped me on my side. Or the time he threw a ball at me thinking I was going to catch it and it hit me in the face so I fell over, but he apologised for like a week afterwards," she says dryly laughing, hoping to lighten the mood with funny stories. And also so James won't ask any further.

But, James just stays quiet and raises an eyebrow at her. He knows she's trying to change the subject, "Was it your parents?"

"N-No it- I," she stutters out her words. She never had to deal with this at home, she'd never wear shorts or short sleeved tops. Instead of getting out of it, she sighs and looks at James with sad eyes. "My mum died when I was seven and my dad couldn't handle it. He drank more often, got angry a lot more often. He turned into a train wreck, and took it out on me."

Iris wasn't sure why she was telling this stranger all of this. The only person she opens up to is Sam and that's because they've been friends for so many years. It was strange, but watching him nod and look her in the eyes and seem like he's actually listening to her made her feel comfortable. It made her feel like she wasn't rushed or bothering him, and she liked it.

"That's horrible," he settles on after Iris finishes speaking. "But you're safe now, and I or anyone else here will not let you get hurt, okay? You're one of us now."

She smiles brightly at James who returns the gesture, "Thank you, that means a lot."

They grow quiet as they eat their breakfast, but it's a comfortable silence and neither of them feel the need to start up a conversation.

Peter comes out of his tent with the blonde boy she's still yet to meet and walks over to the boys. He quickly calls them all off to hunting and they scramble around, listening to Peter's command.

Iris watches quietly as the boys grab weapons and run off out of her eyesight. She places her bowl on the floor and Peter catches her attention as he starts walking off in the same direction as the Lost Boys.

"Peter?" She speaks up as she stands up, making him turn around and raise an eyebrow at her.

"What?"

"Uh, well I was wondering what I'm going to be doing today?" She asks fiddling with her hands.

He grins as his eyes light up, "I'm going to show you around the island while the boys hunt."

•••••

I HAVENT UPDATED IN FOUR DAYS IM SO SORRY MY BABY

but yeah have this shitty chapter

i was just adding this in to kind of introduce Iris to a lost boy more and shit

adios

IG: neverland.luke
Tumblr: autumns-rainyday