Chapter 37

The walk back to camp was pretty much silent between Peter and Iris, except from the odd awkward cough. But it didn't take long for them to get there, and when they did they both seemed to release a deep breath they didn't realise they were holding.

"There's the little temper tantrum," Felix laughed, walking over to them.

Iris rolls her eyes but smiles, "I guess my inner anger came out." She pushed some of her hair behind her ear and her cheeks turned a darker pink as Peter looked down at her, chuckling.

"You don't say?" Peter said with a genuine smile, Iris thinks it suits him. "My chest still hurts from that prodding."

All three laugh and the way Peter is acting strikes Iris as more confusing. He's mostly stern and this hard leader that must be dark and mysterious. But then on those off small moments, he's joking on and smiling. She doesn't know if he's like this around the boys or mostly just her, but then again she doesn't really know anything about Peter. All she does know is that she definitely likes this version of Peter more.

"I'm just gonna go talk to Ja-" Iris caught her words when she realised what was falling out of her mouth. She instantly saw Peter's face drop, why does she always have to say the wrong things? "I mean, I'm going to go get some food and sit with Mikey."

Iris forced a smile at the both of them, but only Felix returns one while Peter clenched his jaw and stared at the ground. She feels kind of guilty for mentioning James without thinking, because she knows that Peter doesn't like thinking about it since it hurt her. Walking over to Michael, she sighs sadly and then sits beside him.

"How was the cage?" He chuckled, side glancing at her from sharpening his dagger.

"Honestly I thought a cage would be more uncomfortable than that, but I actually got a goodnights sleep," she joked while Michael had a small smile on his lips.

They fell into a comfortable silence for a few moments, but then Iris had to speak to him, "How are you?"

"Yeah I'm okay, Dan's just gone off to get some wood to carve spears in while I clean up some old ones," he explained, sighing afterwards.

"How is Dan?"

"You know, he's dealing with it," he nodded. "You seem to be okay with Peter again."

"Y-Yeah, I think he's being kind because he realised how much it hurt us when he done that," Iris swallowed. She felt a sort of angry tension from Michael, which she didn't like.

"I don't think Peter's like that," he laughed through his nose, looking at Iris with a raised eyebrow.

Iris decided that changing the subject would be best at that moment. "You know, I got this weird feeling in my chest when I hugged him. It was like warm and fuzzy and blergh," she explained, pulling a funny face at the end.

Michael started laughing but tried stopping when he sees Iris's confused face, "How old are you Iris?"

"Oh- uhm," Iris had to think for a moment. "Sixteen, why?"

"Ever heard of liking someone?"

"Well yeah, but I've never really been involved with boys," she shrugged.

"Seriously? Were all your friends girls?" Michael asked, shock evident in his features. He always thought that Iris would have had at least a couple ex boyfriends, since she's a pretty and sweet girl that listens to almost anything she's told. If everyone's being honest, Iris would have been easy to get whipped and get taken advantage of if someone wanted to. She's just that naive and easily effected.

"No no, my best friend and kind of only friend was a boy," she tells him.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah he's called, uh, Simon? No, Sam! He's called Sam," Iris was worried about what was happening to her memory.

"Did you not have feelings for him?" He wonders, tilting his head to the side.

"No," she chuckles, shaking her head. "We were just best friends."

Michael nodded, pursing his lips at her which confused Iris. She knew that many people were in relationships at her age, but she just never really thought about it. Her mind was focused on other things, and there was never anyone who really caught her eyes.

•••••

just a filler chapter reallyyy next one will have more Peter in

IG: neverland.luke
Tumblr: autumns-rainyday