bonus chapter

okay you could say this is technically the epilogue but let's say a bonus / sneak peek lmao

i just thought this would be a nice follow on or way to link my stories! it's not a definite nod towards my new book or a continuation/ sequel of this book, but just go with it

••••••

My chest burnt with the sudden intake of a deep breath that had fired down my throat and into my lungs. While it hurt, a sense of feeling swept across me and my muscles relaxed slightly. But I knew I couldn't stop yet, the crash of the ocean's waves kept hitting at my legs as I scrambled across the hard and unsteady ground. I couldn't open my eyes without them stinging and I felt exhausted, my whole body aching.

I continued crawling until I felt something soft and familiar under my palms, grass. Through blurred vision I lifted my head slightly to look around me, but couldn't recognise it yet alone see it. Letting my head fall to the ground, I took another deep breath as the effort made me feel dizzy. Everything seemed to distance itself. I was incredibly vulnerable but I was unable to stay conscious, so I let my mind drift away from my body. The hurting soon stopped.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Marna!"

The music rang through my ears and warmth wrapped me in its arms. The melody was being badly sung by a group of people not too far from me but I just couldn't make them out. My concentration wasn't holding up and my vision seemed worse than before. They were familiar, the sort of familiarity that makes you feel safe. I wanted to reach out and hold them, laugh and cheer like they were. But I was unable to move. They were soon becoming quiet and I felt I had no control in whether they could stay or not.

"Do you- Do you think she's dead?" A voice emerged and startled me.

"Don't be stupid, her chest is moving. Means she's breathing you numpty," a second one stated sarcastically. Both boys, Christ.

"Ol right no need to be snappy, peabrain."

Neither of them sounded similar to people I knew, which made me nervous, and I wasn't sure where to put myself. After a few minutes and more of the strangers bickering, I decided to act as though I had just woken up. I twitched my legs and stirred, quickly realising I wasn't in the same place I had passed out.

"Oh my god! She's waking up, we've got to get Pan!" One of them shouted as I blinked my eyes open.

I felt light headed and the bright sun blinded me momentarily as they turned around, so I was only able to catch what they looked like from the back. For what I could see, they looked young. Too young. My head seemed to pound louder than my thoughts however, meaning I soon forgot what they even looked like at all.

Propping myself up to rest on my arms, I sat on the side of my hip and tried to take in my surroundings. I was in a wooden cage, with no apparent way out, and it made my feel claustrophobic. I hate small spaces. Trying to squeeze through them or sitting in them make me feel entirely uneasy and sick.

Outside of the tiny jail seemed to be an endless maze of green and brown, with the hint of suspiciously vibrant plants. I felt a sense of fear set on my chest as I tried to hold back tears welling in my eyes. Attempting to get rid of the lump in my throat, I swallowed forcibly which proved difficult with how dry my mouth was. I didn't know what to do other than panic, really. I was lost, with no direction, and my head seemed to be nothing but a complete fuzzy mess.

"And who do we have here?"

The somewhat jolly voice made my heavy breath catch in my throat and I had to cough to release it. My eyes traveled towards the source of it and they landed on a smirking face. It was unsettling, to say the least, and I stared intently back at him. I'd like to say it was because I was holding my guard up, but in reality I was simply too scared to say anything to this boy standing not too far away from the cage.

His smile fell quickly from his plump lips when I didn't reply and he tilted his head, examining me from top to bottom with his peridot coloured eyes. I wriggled slightly under his stare, which seemed to satisfy him slightly, and was even more uncomfortable than before.

He quickly appeared closer to the bars that held me within, grasping at them with a now angry expression. It made me jolt back away from him. His jaw was tighter and his impatience shon through brightly. I noticed plenty of little scars tracing along his knuckles as I searched him, hoping for an indication of something. Anything.

"Who are you?" He demanded.

"Marna," I replied without thinking. It rolled off my tongue with such ease I accepted it as correct. "I'm Marna."

Searching • Peter Pan - OUT NOW!!
cya soon!