Chapter 57

As soon as Iris strolls into camp, Peter is patiently waiting for her in the middle with his arms crossed. She looks at his stern features and then drops her head, fear building up in her chest. Quickly making her way over to him, she puts her clammy hands together and her cheeks blush a deep red. Peter raises his eyebrow at the girl in front of him disapprovingly, he thought he'd trained her better than this.

"What's this about you not following orders, Iris?" Peter says scarily calm, and the way her name rolls off of his tongue sends a shiver down her spine.

She takes a deep breath before deciding on her answer and then quietly mumbles, "I-I didn't realise I was that far away from the boys."

"Don't mumble, and look at me when I speak to you," he demands as he takes a step closer to her and using his hand to pull up her chin, making her body tense. Peter was evidently irritated and his strict voice only brought it out more. "How many times should you have to be told something?"

"Just once, Peter," she says louder but her voice cracks slightly.

Iris is looking up at him with pleading eyes and he pulls his hand away, trying his hardest not to get too angry at her. But at the same time, she didn't listen to set rules and this needs to be punished. If he doesn't, the boys might get jealous and start an uproar that he simply can't be bothered with dealing with. He tries to decide on what to do with this small and fragile girl in front of him as he stares down at her, focusing on the clear worry in her eyes.

"You know I'm going to have to punish you, Iris. And I don't want to but I've got no other choice," Peter explains, huffing at the end as he places his hands on his hips.

As the words fall from his lips her heart drops to her stomach and tears quickly brim the corner of her eyes. "I didn't mean it, Peter! Really, I didn't! Please don't," she begs, stepping towards him. Iris locks her bottom lip between her teeth as she stares up at him, making him sigh and rub his eyes.

"Don't do that," he groans as he uses his thumb to pull her lip down. It makes her lips part ever so slightly and he keeps it this way for a moment as he stares at it.

Peter feels a strong urge to lean forward and press his pink lips against hers. He glances up to her eyes and sees a sparkle in them, one that makes his stomach do flips. Iris feels breathless as Peter gazes down at her lustfully, making her cheeks deepen in colour. Her head pushes forward slightly, signalling him to make the first move, and all she wants in this moment is for them to share a kiss.

Slowly, Peter leans closer to her and their lips are only inches apart. They can feel each other's breath fanning over one another's lips and it only makes them want to close the gap even more. Peter moves his hand to the side of Iris's jaw and pulls her closer, not wanting to wait for a second longer.

But just before they can finally touch, the rowdy boys all swoop into camp with their loud voices and energetic selves. Iris has never seen someone move so fast as she watches Peter move away, making her feel slightly let down. She does see his cheeks turn a light pink, however, which she chuckles at.

Felix jogs over, separating from the rest of the boys, and looks at them both with his head slightly tilted. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes," Peter snaps. "I need you to take Iris to the cages, I'm too busy."

Without another word and no time for Iris to protest again, Peter stomps away to his tent. Felix furrows his eyebrows at the way his leader is acting but shakes his head, knowing not to question it. "Are you ready, Iris?"

"Please don't me go," Iris pouts like a child.

The tall blond boy looks down at his little sister with a heavy feeling setting in his chest as he lets out a deep sigh through his nose. He really does hate seeing her being punished, even when she scrapes herself he worries deeply. The thought of her spending the night in one of those terrible cages makes his skin crawl and he just wants to let her sleep in his tent, but he knows where his loyalties lie. And yes, Peter might be easier on his second in command if he breaks the rules. But it would only be that his death was quicker than the others.