Chapter 43

Over the next few days, Iris wasn't able to concentrate on anything other than thinking about her conversation with Sam. The fact that he was actually able to make it to Neverland, and with the Pirates. It was constantly floating in her mind, but she didn't have a clue on what to do about it. Iris was set on not leaving, of course, she just didn't know how to tell Sam that. She also didn't know whether letting Peter know would be a good idea, because he could just explode into anger.

It felt like a looming darkness weighing down on her shoulders, sucking all the energy from her. All the boys had noticed a change in her behaviour as well, but every time one of them asked she would smile and simply reply, "I'm just tired."

Peter was the most worried about Iris. He was also getting kind of annoyed by her lack of enthusiasm, and how she's no longer latching onto him like before. She's hardly spoke to him, he's even contemplated scaring her so she'll tell him whatever's bothering her. But he knows that's not a good idea, and will most likely just push Iris away even more.

-

It's finally the day that Sam told Iris to meet down at the beach. Quietly, Iris is laying in bed next to Peter who's still in a deep sleep. She's gnawing at her bottom lip, nervous about knowing the Pirates plan to attack. Should she have told Peter? Is it bad that she didn't? Does this make her a... traitor? Going back to sleep was not an option for Iris with everything whirling around in her head, so all she could do was lay and worry.

Fortunately, Peter soon lets out a groan and stretches, cracking his joints. He rolls over and sleepily gazes at Iris with a small smile, then yawns and rubs his eyes. His fluffy hair is messy and Iris can feel his body heat radiating off of his bare arms next to her. "Morning love," he says in a raspy, deep voice.

"Morning, Peter," Iris replies as she blushes and forces a smile.

Peter is about to start up a conversation, but then he abruptly sits up as his eyebrows knit together. He seems to stop breathing for a moment, then scowls and pushes the covers off of him so he can get up. After quickly putting on some clothes, he storms out of the tent and Iris can hear him beginning to shout the boys.

Panic rises in her and she feels sick, has he sensed the Pirates coming onto the island to attack? She decides to go after him and find out after getting ready herself.

She sees all the boys running around getting weapons and she begins nervously fumbling with her hands. Her eyes land on Felix sorting out his bow and arrows so she makes her way over to him, "Hey Felix, what's happening?"

"Pirates have come onto the island, Peter thinks they're planning to attack," he explains.

"But they won't be able to find camp easily, can't you just leave it be?" She asks, tilting her head.

"Well yeah, I guess. But it's fun to fight," Felix shrugs, crookedly smiling.

Iris nods and bites down on her bottom lip, unsure of what to do with herself. She strolls around the camp, watching the boys rush around her.

"Iris, I told you not to do that," Peter huffs suddenly, making Iris jump and look up at him. Again, he pulls her lips down from between her teeth with his thumb and makes her cheeks flush a dark pink. She nods in understanding, and Peter smiles at her obedience. "Good girl," he grins, only causing her face to turn a deeper colour.