Chapter 28

Iris wakes up feeling exhausted, like she hasn't slept at all and her body feels completely drained as she drags herself out of bed. Quickly, she makes her way outside to where she finds Peter and Felix talking. But before she can hear any part of their conversation, they both sharply turn to look at her making her stop in her tracks and wait awkwardly for them to say something.

"Iris, go get some wood," Peter demands waving her off.

She sighs but nods, and walks over to James, "Please come get firewood with me."

"Of course," he smiles, looking up from the rock he's sharpening for a spear.

He puts it down and stands up, making his way out of camp with Iris beside him. They don't go too far before they start picking up some broken branches and sticks.

"I don't see why the can't just magic up some wood," Iris mutters, yawning afterwards.

"Because he doesn't use his magic for things that the lost boys can easily do for him," James shrugs.

"But it would take him two minutes, not even that," she says shaking her head.

James notices Iris struggling and how tired she looks, so he goes over and takes some of the heavier and larger sticks from her. She lets out a deep breath and smiles as she thanks him,, which he just shrugs at.

"Would you like to take it slow on the way back?" James asks, after they both agree that they have enough.

Iris nods and they both begin walking back in the direction of camp in a comfortable silence. The sunlight is shining through the cracks of the trees, warming up the skin on Iris that is exposed and making her feel more relaxed.

They walk into camp and drop it all on the pile that had gotten smaller. Peter suddenly comes up to them making Iris jump, "Why does it take two people?"

"W-Well I didn't know how much you wanted, and I couldn't carry loads by myself," Iris stutters, fiddling with her fingers nervously.

"You're supposed to be at training by now," Peter growls, which James nods at and pats his shirt down as he turns to walk towards the training ground. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Training," James says like it's obvious and furrows his eyebrows, pointing his finger out slightly.

Iris sees peters eyes turn black as he goes to step towards James. "Peter," she blurts in a panic as she steps in front of James. "It was my fault," she puts her hand on Peter's chest and he looks down at her with a glare. "It won't happen again."

Peter clenches his jaw, his emerald eyes returning slightly as he looks into Iris's deep brown ones. He throws his hand up, signalling for them to leave as he walks away in another direction, with his fists clenched tightly into fists.

Iris sighs quietly and turns on her heel, walking up to James who is waiting for her. They start strolling towards training, and Iris mutters, "James you've got to stop doing that."

"Doing what?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows down at her.

"Angering him, he'll just kill you," she mumbles.

Iris hates seeing Peter harm the boys, so seeing her closest friend in Neverland would devastate her. James has always been kind to her, and he was the first boy here to actually speak to her properly.

"I don't do anything more than I used to, and I'm not dead so far," he shrugs.

"Then why is he getting so angry now?"

"Jealousy probably," he mutters.

Iris furrows her eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"Well he started getting more angry with me when you came and you like to stay with me more than him."

"Because you aren't crazy," she laughs pushing her dark hair behind her ear, making him smile.

"Yes but he won't see it like that, he'll see it as though I'm trying to take you away from him," he explains as his face falls, pulling a hand through his messy black hair. "And he definitely won't like that."

Iris isn't quite sure on what to say, so she just lets them fall into a comfortable silence until they end up with the rest of the boys. They all cheer when they see them walk in and Iris blushes slightly at how happy they seem. The twins run up to her and start talking over each other to tell her what they've been doing, but she just smiles and stays silent as they pull her over to the group.

-

"Iris, what's wrong?"

"Huh?" She snaps out of her thoughts and notices Felix stood in front of her as she leans against a tree. "Oh, n-nothing. I'm just thinking."

"There isn't much to think about here," he laughs, and she forces a smile as she pushes herself off the tree to stand up straight. He tilts his head to the side, "What's wrong?"

"Is Peter... jealous, of James?" She asks slowly.

Felix widens his eyes as his body seems to tense, "No."

"Come on Felix, I'm not gonna tell anyone," she pouts, her shoulders slouching slightly.

"Iris, you've got to understand something about Peter. He doesn't really have emotions, he locks them tightly inside himself and they rarely ever come out, but when they do they flood out and he can't stop them. So if he is jealous, you'll know about it," he tells her carefully, looking down at her with his bright eyes.

"And if he is jealous," she says slowly. "Why would he be?"

"You're his," Felix shrugs.

"But I'm not, I'm not his girlfriend," Iris shakes her head slightly, making her long dark strands fall over her shoulders.

"That's not how Peter works," Felix laughs, shaking his head as well. "If he takes you and wants you, then you're his."

"Did he want you?" Iris asks, tilting her head to the side.

"As his second in command, yes," he nods. "But not how he wants you."

"And how's that?"

"You'll figure that out," he grins, patting the top of her head and walking away towards the rest of the boys.

Iris stands with her eyebrows furrowed as she watches Felix walk away. She's still confused and questioning everything, wondering what she's going to do about it all.

•••••

i've been so busy with school and revision and mocks

for the past three weekends i've slept at my boyfriends house then spent all of the next day with him (making him watch RuPaul's Drag Race with me) so that's another reason i haven't been able to write anything

IG: neverland.luke
Tumblr: autumns-rainyday