Chapter 40

It wasn't unusual for Iris to feel scared, and have fear race through every part of her body. But seeing the old pirate ship descending from the horizon, made her feel more nervous than ever before. She couldn't suck in enough air to keep her lungs from giving way, and she seemed to lose all strength in her muscles as her eyes pricked with tears.

"W-What are they doing back?" She whispers in a harsh breath, stumbling back and falling to the ground.

Peter looks back at her with worry laced in his eyes, "Iris I'll never let them hurt you again." He steps towards her, making her flinch, and he bends his knees to get down to her level. Anger suddenly rises in him, he hates anyone scaring Iris and putting her in this state. The memories of the Pirate's last visit stirs in his mind and he can't help but get furious at how they acted and what they done, he'd never allow that to happen again.

"W-What if they get me?" Iris cries, crossing her arms and digging her nails into her skin like she's done before.

"They won't, Iris, calm down," he soothes. Peter quickly pulls her hands away and holds them in his own, making her look up into his emerald eyes. He pushes her dark hair behind her ear and wipes her tear stained cheeks with the pad of his thumb. "Iris, I promise if any of them lay a finger on you they're dead."

She nods and launches at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He's puzzled at first, but then releases a deep breath he was holding and hugs her back. After a moment of letting her calm down, he places his hands around her thighs and stands up holding her. "I think we should go tell the boys."

Nodding again, she buries her face further into his shoulder and holds him tighter.

-

Soon, they make it back to the camp and Felix immediately makes his way over with worried features. Peter lets her down but she still clutches onto his arm and hand, refusing to let go. But Peter doesn't mind that Iris doesn't want him to leave, it shows that he makes her feel safe. And Peter loves that.

"Why has she been scratching?" Felix asks, seeing the prominent red marks on her arm.

"Pirates, they've stupidly came back," Peter says through gritted teeth.

Felix can see that Peter's itching to go talk them, and most likely threaten them to leave. "Want me to look after her?"

"Yes, I'm going to go check it out," he nods and then pulls his free hand through his hair. He sees Iris look up at him with big puppy dog eyes, them welling up again. She really doesn't want him to leave her side. "Don't worry, Iris. I won't be long I promise, and you know Felix is just as good at looking after you as I am."

Iris nods and unwillingly releases her grip on him, allowing him walk out into the forest. Felix opens his arms and she quickly grips onto him like a small child. He picks her up and takes her over to the boys, in hopes they can lift her spirits. The twins quickly make their way to her before the other just as worried boys, telling her funny stories to try to make her happy. She sits up on Felix's lap, and smiles weakly at the amusing Lost Boys.

••••••

oops I took longer than last time to update again, sorry!! hopefully I'll update again soon bc I don't do anything these days honestly

IG: neverland.luke
tumblr: autumns-rainyday