Chapter 9

After a long day of hunting and running around the island like wild animals, the boys flood into camp and drop off their weapons/traps in a pile. They gather on the logs and start preparing the food carefully, only sharing a few laughs while they concentrate.

Iris was busy doing the fire while they came back, but once she gets it to a suitable size she quickly makes her way over to James. He smiles brightly up at her before she sits down next to him, which she returns.

After a while of quiet conversations, joking on and weapon sharpening, the boys and Iris all get their food. They start messily scoffing it down instantly, like someone was about to snatch it from them if they didn't.

"Boys!" Peter steps in front of the hurdle of lost boys, and Iris. "It's time we have a celebration for our first lost girl!"

She smiles over at Peter awkwardly, tucking some hair behind her ear as the boys start cheering. James pats her on the back and grins down at her.

Peter sits down on a log and takes some pipes from the side of him, starting to blow out a mellow tune. It flows around the camp and swirls around Iris, making her feel entranced. The boys start moving slowly at first, picking up thick sticks to hit together.

Then, they go wild. They prance and spin and jump in a circle around the campfire. The beat of the sticks smashing together matching the best of their heart, which are racing in their chests. Each boy cheers and howls up at the bright moon hanging in the sky.

"Come on, Iris!" James yells, before turning around and laughing along with the boys around him.

She sighs quietly, not listening to James. She knows she should feel happy that they're celebrating her arrival, but it just makes her think of the time before she was in Neverland. Her mind wonders to Sam, school and even the nice woman in the chip shop she used to go in with Sam a lot. It makes her chest feel heavy and she frowns without even meaning to.

Don't get Iris wrong, she loves it Neverland. Apart from the murdering, of course. Everything else she can't seem to get enough of.

Suddenly, she's lifted from her place on the log and is being held bridal style. A squeal falls from her lips before she looks up to see James chuckling at her.

Her face reddens slightly and she laughs putting hair behind her ear, "You scared me."

"Sorry, Iris. You just looked sad so I wanted to stop it," he smiles, spinning around her around.

"Thank you," she chuckles, putting her hand over her smiling lips. "But I'm okay, just thinking."

"About?" He asks, but she shakes her head scrunching up her nose. He nods, "That's okay. Maybe another time?"

She nods her head smiling which he returns before he prances away with the boys again.

Peter glances up from playing the pipes, and his eyes instantly land on Iris. He raises an eyebrow at her standing awkwardly by herself, twiddling with the ends of her hair. She's biting her bottom lip, which catches him off guard and he stops playing the pipes without meaning to.

Iris looks over with her eyebrows furrowed, he clears his throat and instantly looks down at his pipes.

She makes her way over, "C-Can I sit?"

He flickers his eyes up, his chest having a tightening feeling when he looks into her eyes. "Of course, Iris." He puts on one of his famous smirks as he watches her sit down and hesitantly look him in the eyes.

"Why do you say my name like that?" She asks suddenly.

"Like what?"

She bites her lip again, which Peter can't help but stare at. "Like you've know me for so long, like you know everything."

"I do know everything," he grins. "And I don't your favourite colour, or anything like that, but I always know what you're thinking."

"Oh right," she nods, turning to look down at the floor.

"Why don't you get some sleep? You look pretty tired," he says and she looks back up at him.

"Yeah, I will," a sigh falls from her lips. She stands up and brushes herself off, stepping to walk away. Hesitating, she turns to look at Peter, "It's green. My favourite colour is green."

Quickly, she makes her way to her small tent and scurries inside. Peter watches her the whole way, smiling to himself.

••••••

lmao this is terrible and I'm hungry even tho I've had a hotdog and a egg&sausage butty earlier and now I've had Chinese

BUT I WATCHED SUICIDE SQUAD ON FRIDAY AND I LOVED IT

THE JOKER WAS SO GOOD OMFG HE DIDNT GET ENOUGH SCREEN TIME WTF

lol I got drunk last night too and I don't get hungover I'm so lucky✌🏻️

IG: neverland.luke
Tumblr: autumns-rainyday