Chapter 12

"Iris!"

Iris can feel herself being pulled out of her sleep by somebody violently shaking her shoulders and repeatedly saying her name. "Iris wake up!"

She slowly flutters hers eyes open and groans at the bright light, scrunching her face up slightly. When her eyes finally come back into focus she sees Peter crouching down to her height, smiling at her.

"Come on we're playing a game," he grins widely, standing up straight. "Don't take forever to get ready," he says firmly over his shoulder as he's leaving her tent.

Iris sits up and stretches, a yawn leaving her lips. All this lack of sleep really gets to her sometimes, and all she wants to do it curl up i in bed. Last nights nightmare wasn't too bad however, so she was able to get a couple of hours in after it.

It doesn't take her long to get ready and make her way out of her tent. She quickly makes her way over to James and Michael. "What game are we playing?" She asks them both, sitting beside James on the log. They look up at her and shrug.

"Hopefully something fun this time," Michael mumbles.

James nods at Michael, as if to say he's hoping that too. But Iris just furrows her eyebrows in confusion, aren't all games in Neverland fun?

"Follow me lads!" Peter shouts, causing the whole group of boys to shift their head in his direction. "And Iris," he adds in a quieter tone, looking at her slightly.

The boys all quickly stand up and follow Peter through the forest. They walk for a while, and  Iris walking closely with James not leaving his side once. She feels safe being close with him, because she still thinks most of the other boys don't particularly like her.

Peter has looked back a few times, glaring at how close they are being. At how James can make her smile come out of hiding and cause her cheeks to blush. All he's done is scare her so far.

Eventually, they come up to an opening with a cliff. Peter makes his way to the edge, turning to the boys with a cheesy grin plastered on his lips. Iris steps in front of James, wondering what hand in the world could be played at the side of a cliff.

"Okay boys, all you have to do is jump."

Iris's eyes widen and she steps back, her heart pounding in her chest. She knows she doesn't have it her, she's not like these lost boys. She gets scared and nervous and worried, she could die if she jumps off this cliff.

Peter smirks noticing how quickly she got nervous.

The boys deciding whether to jump or not is short lived as they start running to edge, leaping off one by one. She hears them yelling with excitement as they fall, but it just makes her stomach drop.

She makes her way to the edge, loving over to see how far down it is. "Peter I can't."

"Why?" He asks, suddenly right beside her ear. It makes her jump back from looking over the side.

"I-I might die," she stutters. Iris knows saying no to Peter will get her in trouble, but she physically can't throw herself off this cliff.

"All the boys have done it, just trust in me that you won't die," he grins.

She goes over to the edge, "B-But, it's really high and, and..."

"Just jump Iris," Peter demands, crossing his arms.

The boys shout up, chanting for her to jump, and she takes a shaky breath closing her eyes. Iris just lets herself jump, and she can't even hear the scream leaving her lips while she falls down. Water hits her quickly but she kicks her legs, making her way up to the surface. She lets out a cheer of excitement before she makes her way to the boys, who are cheering for her too.

James picks her up by putting his arms around her waist, "Well done!"

He puts her down and she smiles up at him, "Thank you."

Peter comes over looking proud of himself, smirking at Iris. She turns around and steps closer to him, she looks to the ground.

"I'm sorry for saying so at first," she tells him quietly, hoping he won't be angry at her.

"That's fine, as long as you jumped. I'm just glad I didn't have to end up throwing you off," he laughs along with the other boys, but Iris just lets out a nervous chuckle.

They continue playing until sunset, but exhaustion quickly sets in each of them and it gets hard to keep their eyes open as they sit on the sand. Peter notices and even feels too tired to carry on himself, so he tells everyone to make their way back.

James notices how tired Iris is, she can hardly stay awake even while they're walking. "Would you like me to carry you back?"

"Are you okay with that? I don't mind walking," she says. But she's so thankful that he's offered because it feels as though her legs are going to give way at any moment.

"Of course I am, come here," James picks her up like she's as light as a feather. She wraps herself around him and places her head on her shoulder, quickly drifting off to sleep.

Peter sees this and anger boils in his stomach. "James I need you to get some firewood," Peter yells up in front of him before he even realises it's leaving his lips.

A sigh falls from James' lips as he looks back at Peter, who's glaring at him. "Iris?" She groans in acknowledgment making him chuckle. "I've got to go get firewood."

"Take me with you," she mumbles, tightening her grip around him.

He smiles, "You know I won't be able to."

She groans again and he lets her down. She rubs her eye with the heel of her hand and looks up at him like she's a little child.

"I'll catch up with you later, it won't take me long."

She pouts but nods, "Okay, see you later." She starts walking with Michael, annoyed that Peter has all these boys to choose from but he decided to make James go. She wonders why.

•••••

iris you little risk taker omg

IG: neverland.luke
Tumblr: autumns-rainyday