8

Now I have Wesley's number. But I don't know what to do with it. I have a feeling that all the "call me" flirty crap was just to match my mood which was crappy. In others words, I think that Wesley was just trying to make me feel better and it really wasn't that sincere. I feel like if I call him, we won't have anything to talk about and it will be awkward. I want to break up with Toby and date Wesley, but I know that Wesley doesn't like me like that. Hello? I'm the DUFF, who would like me besides Toby. Even though he has an odd way of showing it. I can't break up with him for two reasons: Everyone thinks that I'm this "good girl" and if I'm dating Wesley people will treat me differently. And Wesley would never go for me anyway. That's why I can't break up with him and say " there's someone else" when the feeling isn't mutual. Maybe I should just talk to Toby. But first, Wesley. I punch the number into my phone and as it starts to ring I hang up. I can't do this. I'm about to dial again when I realize that the number is calling me back. My finger hovers over reject, then I slide it to accept. "Hello?" "Hi Bianca" he says chuckling. "What's so funny?" I ask. "You." He says. "What about me? And how did you get my number? I never gave it to you." "There is such a thing as 'caller ID' Bianca. I saw that you called. You must have hung up on the first ring because you were so nervous to talk to me." "That's ridiculous Wes. I just thought that I was calling someone else, so I hung up when I realized it was you." Yeah, that sounds believable. "Likely story." Damn. "So I'm not worthwhile to talk with? I'm sure I'm much better than whoever you were trying to call." "You know, you're not the hottest person on Earth Wesley. As much as your ego begs to differ." "I'm still the top of your list. So who was it you were trying to reach?" "That's none of your business." My face is burning with embarrassment. "That's just something people say when they're lying or don't want to tell you. Most likely because it's made up." "So what if it was Wes? You just can't stand to be 2nd place can you?" "Maybe. That's probably because I'm always first." I scoff at that ridiculous accusation. As much as Wes makes it seem like he has a big ego, he does most of the time, most of the things that he says are true. He's always right and wins every game that I've seen him in. I only went to those football games because Toby was playing. He only did it for two weeks. Not that I had an interest in many sports, or any, but if Wesley was there, so was I. I mean Toby. I scoffed again. "Wesley, your ego is so big that if I wanted to kill myself I would climb up it and jump down your IQ." "That's pretty creative. What a good idea to take that from online. I'm sure that you're looking up good comebacks for people with big egos right now." I quickly exit the page and shut down my computer. "So you admit that you have a big ego?" He just laughs and then I laugh with him for a while. "You're laughing because it's true." I say to him between breathy laughs. "I would say the same to you. You probably just got out of the page once I said that. Curtain up." Wow we haven't done that in a while. As kids, to communicate because we didn't have phones, we would lift up our curtains and see each other. Then we would pop out our screens to hear each other. And during nighttime, we would use morse code. I lift my curtain up to see Wesley's cocky grin aimed at me. "There it is. That smile. I'm glad that everything's okay now." I smile wider at him and he laughs. "Hang up the phone you dork." I giggle and look into his gray eyes from my window. He takes out a flashlight 'I L I K E T A L K I N G T O YOU' Then he's cut off by someone entering the room and yelling then the lights go off and the house next door is in darkness and so am I.