The Spectrum of Discovery [Mini Arc-Part 0.9]

Ryoma's POV:

When we exited the courts and prepared for the run, Yukimura-buchou walked over.

"What are you doing, Ryoma-kun?" he asked in a light voice.

"Oh, I'm just running 100 laps with Akaya-kun," I answered, masking my emotions.

Yukimura's eyebrows shot up. His indigo eyes swirled with many emotions, but mainly surprise and amusement. 

"Is that so? Why?" Yukimura asked softly.

"Well, his, um, rather unfortunate accident at lunch was partly my fault, and I'm his friend, so...." I answered yet again, not missing a step.

Yukimura cocked his head.

"Friends?" Yukimura asked, seemingly distracted.

I blinked. Was Yukimura-buchou okay?

"Are you okay?" I blurted. For one reason or another, silence took over the courts. Ah, memories, I subconsciously thought. 

Yukimura didn't answer, as he gasped, and began to run back into the school. Then he suddenly stopped.

"Echizen, stay where you are!" Yukimura commanded. His eyes were freakishly haunted. "Warm up with Kirihara, or something! And Sanada, make sure they don't move an inch!"

"Where are you going?" Sanada questioned, confusion evident in his eyes.

Yukimura gave a glare, shocking everyone. Not answering, he continued his run back to the school, this time to the school dormitories. 

I stood, rooted. Did he...? I thought, distressed. No, no, no, this cannot be happening! 

My distress must have shown, because Sanada started to walk over, and Akaya whirled around, both confused. As did the regulars. 

"Ryoma, what's going on?" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seiichi's POV:

As I ran to the tennis dorms, my head was swirling.

No, Ryoma....He couldn't have! There's no way....No! That couldn't have happened! I thought frantically. 

But as I slammed open the door to the Regular's dorms, went straight up to my room and shakingly pulled out my beloved photo album, I felt my suspicions confirmed as I looked back at the Kanto Reginal Tournament Teams. 

There is it. Seigaku.  

And a younger version of a certain Ryoma Echizen, the "rookie prodigy" that has gone off the grid for 3 years, standing proudly in the centre of 8 very proud looking tennis regular members.

Hearing the door to my room open, I turned around and looked up, conveniently looking into the golden eyes of Ryoma Echizen.

"Yukimura-buchou," Ryoma said, sounding broken, "I'm so sorry."