Chapter 9.

Skye

I closed my eyes tightly and tightened my body, and it was then when I realized. Something was over me, pushing me strongly. I thought I was free, I thought I was already with him.

"Harry" I sighed, feeling the rain on my face. The floor was still shaking under my body and I could feel as if everything was in slow motion. My eyes were closed, but I could feel him near me anyway.

"Sky..." I heard a voice calling me. It sounded close but distant at the same time. I opened my eyes slowly and the smile on my face faded as I found who I was less expecting to see.

"Liam?!" I yelled, completely amazed. "What are you doing here? I am... the train has just ran over me!"

"You're not dead, I saved you!" He took my head in his both hands. He looked really angry. "How do you come up with such a stupid thing? What's wrong with you?!"

"And what are you doing here? Just leave me alone" I answered, moving backwards. 

"I followed you, I didn't know what you were going to do."

"Well, you shouldn't, that's creepy as hell."

"You were going to kill yourself, Sky!"

"Go away!" I shouted, clenching my fists. 

"No way, I won't leave you alone."

I turned around and started to walk towards the big oak.

"Do you realize how selfish you are?" he screamed through the rain and wiped his fallen quiff off his forehead.

"And what is to be selfish, Liam?" I glared at him.

"Have you thought about your family, or your friends? Have you thought about the people that love you, and how they would suffer? The people that would've found your body torn to pieces, have you thought about that? Have you?!" He snapped gesturing with his hands in the air.

"I, I..."

"No. You haven't." he interrupted me. "And that's why you're selfish." His eyes filled with tears as his features softened, and the rain became heavier than ever, falling over us like water buckets.

"I just wanted to be with Harry" I cried, fiddling with my fingers. All he did was walk towards me and wrap me up in his arms tightly.

"This is not the way, Sky. You can't keep doing this, I couldn't stand losing someone else." I buried my face in his shirt and we sat onto the grass, the embrace never breaking. We stood there in the rain, hearing it, letting everything be. I closed my eyes and imagined that Harry was the one holding me so firmly, keeping me completely safe.

 Harry.

 I fell onto the ground in relief when I saw Liam had pushed Sky away from the railway.

“Thanks, thank god” I whispered to myself. They were both in front of me; Liam was keeping her in his arms and Sky was smiling with her eyes closed. Her smile faded from her face and her eyes went furious when she saw him holding her away from where the train was passing.

“Liam?! What are you doing here?I am… the train has just ran over me!"

She was hoping to see me holding her, I knew it. And I couldn’t help feeling like I had disappointed her. All I wanted was to run and hug her, just as when we were together, lifting her feet from the floor and hearing her sweet giggles in my ear, asking me to put her on the ground. But I couldn’t. I was dead.

Why didn’t I defend myself that night? I scolded myself. I should’ve fought, but they were too strong. Two against one, and they had weapons. I couldn’t have saved myself even if I would’ve tried. I should’ve run instead of staying and letting them kill me. It was my fault that Sky cried, it was my fault that she wanted to die, and it was my fault that everyone was arguing for the simple fact that I was gone. 

"Oh come on, stop grumbling. Can't you control yourself when you are dead?" I looked over my shoulder and saw Scarlett walking towards me. She sank her cold grey eyes in mine and her pale skin shined.

"What, can you read minds?"

"No, genious. You were talking out loud" she answered, making me feel like a complete idiot.

I glanced at Sky and Liam, that were now into a heated discussion. I wanted to interceed but, again, I couldn't. I stood up and laughed as I realized that Scarlett was like five inches shorter than me.

"So... your girlfriend tried to kill her self. That's sweet!" she said with a smirk.

"First of all, she's not my girlfriend. Second of all, in what universe is that sweet?" I snaped even though I knew she wasn't serious.

"She could've joined us, and we would've had a party!" she moved her hips as if dancing. "Oh, wait... only if she had had a mission."

"A what?"

"A mission" she emphasized the word.

"Aha... could you explain what a mission is?" I asked, confused. She sighed and started going back and forth while explaining.

"You are here, Harry, because you have a mission to fulfill. If you didn't have one, you'd be up there," she looked to the sky and continued, "with the rest of those lucky people who don't have things to do down here." I stared at her in confusion, still not understanding what a mission was. She might have realized becase she kept talking. "For example, you may have to save someone, or fix a mess that you once made. There are thousands of reasons, perhaps one for each dead human being."

"And what's mine supposed to be?"

"That's what you have to find out."

"Hm..." I murmured, thinking about what to do. I glanced once again over my shoulder at Sky and Liam. They were now hugging, almost lying on the wet floor. Jealousy took over me completely and I had that feeling of wanting to hold her again. "What's your mission?" I asked Scarlett, trying to distract myself.

"I still don't know" she shrugged.

"And how long have you been dead?"

"For about three years."

"Oh..." I felt very bad for her, she should be very lonely. But then I remembered Lenny. "And what about Lenny?"

"She's been trying to discover her mission for a year," she sighed "but we can't leave until we finish it."

Completing the mission implied leaving Sky and the rest of the people that I loved? I couldn't abandon them. But they knew I was there, Sky more than anyone else, and if finding my mission was a benefit for them, then I should do it. This new information had been very helpful. I had to find out what my mission was once and for all.

Even if that meant having to leave Sky.