Chapter 18.

I had the need to protect her. Someone, other than us, was there and I was sure he or she wanted to hurt her. Scarlett poked my shoulder and pointed to some bushes a few metres away from Sky. 

"Look, there he is!" she said and I rushed through the branches and spotted that blonde guy from Niall's party. He was dressed in black from head to toe and the only visible thing were his eyes.

"Sky!" I shouted, desperate. "Sky, run! Now!" Panic broke into my body as seeing the blonde standing up and looking for something inside his pocket. He was walking towards her, gazing at her in the most anxious and full of anger possible way. "Run!" I screamed again, but she couldn't hear me. "Scarlett, do something, please!" I begged her.

She nodded and ran to Sky, whispered something in her ear and after a couple of seconds, Sky fled out of the woods as fast as she could. I caught a glimpse that she had come to where Niall was and relief filled me, knowing she was safe. I turned to where the boy was, but he had ran in the opposite direction and I attempted to follow him but I was stopped by Scarlett's grip.

"She needs you" she said pointing to Sky, who was now crying in Niall's shoulder. "She needs you more than ever."

"You're right" I sighed, confused, and stood immobile next to Scarlett

Skye.

"What happened? Are you alright?" Niall asked while we headed to the kitchen. I shook my head and sat on a chair nexto to the table. I was too confused to talk about what had happened. Once again, I was led to the thought that it all had been a figment of my imagination. But deep inside it had felt so real... "Do you want some coffee?" He asked again, this sime smiling.

"Yes please."

I watched him as he put the two cups in the microwave. Then he took the glass coffee jar and prepared the drinks. I was surprised at how well he knew my house, as he didn't visit me so often. 

The doorbell rang, pushing me out of my thoughts. 

"I'll get it" I whispered, standing up and walking to the living room. I opened the door and found Gemma, Harry's sister. "Gemma, what's wrong?" I asked when seeing her crystallized eyes.

"Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure. Come in, Niall's in..."

"Alone" she muttered, interrupting me. "I don't want him to see me crying."

I gulped and nodded, then got out to the porch of the house. I silently closed the door so Niall wouldn't notice.

"What's wrong?"

"I didn't want to tell you this, you know, not to make things worse."

"Don't worry, just tell me."

"Well, the night Amber died, something happened to Theo." A shiver ran down mi spine to the mention of the little puppy. The day Harry and I found it, we had taken it to my house but we discovered Summer was allergic to the dog's fur, so Harry offered to keep him. "He... was attacked by other dog."

"What? Why didn't anybody tell me? Is he alright?" I asked, full of scruples.

"We took him to the vet, but we don't know yet. He can't die, he is the closest thing I have to Harry since he left" she said and her voice cracked.

"Hey, don't worry, he'll be fine" I consoled her and she cried in my shoulder. I was trying to be calm but deep inside I was as worried as her.

"If it wasn't for Liam, Theo would probably be dead."

"What do you mean?" I separated and stared at her.

"He took Theo away from the big dog and then took him home." Mi jaw fell open and guilt invaded me. "Is something wrong?" Gemma asked.

"No... no. Everything's fine" I lied.

"Well, I have to go then. I just thought you had the right to know." I nodded. She gave me a quick hug and left.

I went inside the house again, procesing all the information I had to the moment and trying to put the pieces from what seemed to be a very difficult puzzle together. That was the reason why Liam had blood spots on his shirt. How could I be so stupid?

I was left again without any suspect in mind and it wasn't easy to think about who had done it so far.

I opened the door, entered the kitchen and Niall was waiting for me, sitting next to the table and drinking his coffee.

"Who was that?"

"Gemma" I answered, sitting and taking a sip from my drink.

"Is she alright?"

"Yea. Hey, I've been thinking about what you told me of Liam" I said, changing the subject.

"What did I tell you about Liam?" he asked.

"About my dream and its meaning."

"Oh, yea. The one where he didn't let you go and stuff, right?"

"Yea. I don't think he would do those things to me. I know him enough as to know he is a good person." His face faded.

"What?"

"He's not like that, Niall." I finished my coffee in one gulp and went to the sink to wash the cup. "I have to go see him now."

"Sky, you can't trust anybody. There's a murderer in town" he explained standing up.

"And do you think Liam is the killer?" I turned to face him and crossed my arms.

"It could be anyone..." he shrugged.

"It could be you" I answered and as soon as the words left my mouth I regretted saying them.

"Listen to me" he said coming closer and grabbing me with strenght by my shoulders, "I would've never hurt Harry, ever" he emphasized the last word. He stared at me so angrily I thought he was going to hit me at any moment. It was the first time I had seen him so angry.

"Fine, I believe you. Now get off" I said pushing him away from me but carefully trying not to piss him off more. "Go away!" I yelled at him pointing at the door.

"I'm sorry..."

"Just leave!"

He left the kitchen, angry and confused at the same time. He slammed the door and I leaned on it after he got out, propping my head in my hands. Why was he so bad tempered? I know what I had said hadn't been the best answer, but I couldn't erase his angry grimace from my mind. It looked like he was going to hit me and the reminder made me shudder.

I decided to stop thinking about it and going to Liam's once and for all. I went to the kitchen and finished washing the cups, then grabbed my coat and when I was about to leave, I heard what seemed to be insults provenient from the street.

I opened the door and right there in front of me were two people violently punching each other.