Chapter 25.

Harry.

Sky was wisely drawing Zayn to the trap. How could he take in her words so easily?

"No, just stop it! You're lying" I heard him say and he pointed his knife at her, but his face was holding a pinch of belief. I wished to be able to do something. To help her, to help Liam, to fucking push Zayn right in the middle of the railway.

The train was coming at full speed, its whistle echoing all over the place. You could feel the ground vibrating as the wheels went forward, squeaking on the hard, brown metal.

"—please, take me with you and let's run away. Far away, together." The whistle sounded repeatedly —because of the body standing in the middle of the way, I supposed. Zayn came abruptly out of Sky's trance and turned to his right, noticing the enormous machine rushing towards him. His face went white, he let his knife fall to the ground and it took him a few seconds to react and try to run off from the railway, but I pushed him, with Scarlett's help, keeping him from going anywhere.

The imponent machine, followed by an infinity of wagons, rolled over his body and through us in less than what I could have possibly imagined. Sky hissed, covering her face and looking to the other side, and shut her eyes as closed as possible.

"I'm sorry" I muttered.

 Everything happened as fast as what takes a shooting star to cross the sky. I ran to my best friend and held her in my arms, feeling her shaking inside them with her eyes still closed and her face buried in her hands. It was wonderful to have her, to feel her, to hold her. But once the train passed by, she had jumped over the railway and ran towards Liam, who was half unconscious, lying on the grass.

I stood still, staring at her, half sad, half proud of what she had done and endured. And so I understood my days there had come to an end.

Sky.

 "Liam" I gasped, kneeling down on the grass. I caressed his cheek and patted him, trying to wake him. His chocolate brown eyes opened and he began to cough, small red drops jumping out of his mouth. "Don't worry, I'm going to find help, okay?"

"Sky... the phone..." he mumbled, "right there..." I followed his weak gaze and spotted the device not a meter far from where we were. My nervous fingers gripped the object at once and I heard some murmurs on the other line. I quickly pressed it to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked, holding back the urge to scream frantically all that had happened, to whoever was listening to me.

"Hello miss. It's the police department, please tell us where you are."

"In the railway" I quickly said, "near the woods, right behind the cemetery."

"We'll be there immediately, miss."

I let the phone fall to the ground together with my tears.

"They're coming, Liam." I buried my face in his neck.

"If I die..."

"Don't say that. Don't give up, not now."

"I love you, Sky, okay? Don't forget that"

"I won't. I love you too." I smiled through the tears and caressed his freezing cheek. His eyes were closing, a broad grin plastered on his face, and his hand finally dropped mine.

"Liam?" I slightly shook his body underneath the rough rain, as if trying to wake him from a deep nightmare. But his eyes kept closed. 

I heard the sirens in the distance. A wave of relief flooded through my body, my teeth were chattering due to the nerves and I could hardly keep my hands still.