Chapter 36

Author's Note

Listen to Happy Little Pill - Troye Sivan

JULIA WILSON

Before I close my eyes, I felt my phone vibrated. It was a text 'Hope I can take you and Lucas out on a park tomorrow. That is, if you're okay?'.

I thought of a reasonable answer before replying, 'Sure, but I'll pick up Lucas from Preschool tomorrow so I think 1 am is cool.' I pressed sent before turning off the lamp and rolling the blanket over Lucas and I. 

I was trying to doze off, when I felt a sudden buzz underneath my pillow, meaning, he replied.

'Okay, I'm really meaning to meet and get to know Lucas..'

Instead of thinking about a coherent answer, my mind wander over why is he doing this?

-

"Hey Mrs. Harris!" I greeted Lucas' kinder teacher as I passed their classroom.

"Hey, Julia! Can I talk to you alone, in my office?" she asked, I'd looked around and spotted Lucas who was glaring at some kid.

Is he in trouble?

"Sure," I nodded and followed her down the hallway. We entered her office; it was full of certificates, Kids' toys, and a lot of play-mats. She asked me to sit on the office chair, so I did.

She pulled out a pen before clearing her throat, "I know that it was tough for Lucas to grow without a father, but that doesn't give him the permission to run around infuriated whenever the kids would laugh at him because he's dad-less," she played with the pen she was holding.

I let out a sigh, I know she's right, "What did he do?" I asked.

"Well, he punched Zach and he rocked Cora's hair back and forth until the guidance counselor stopped him. They're twins by the way," she added the last detail, which made me anxious.

Lucas fought twins!

"Can I have their full names so I can talk to the parent or whoever's with them? I'm gonna be apologizing when I see them around," I looked at her.

She nodded and took out a folder and scanned it, "Here, Zachary and Coralline Whittemore!"

Wait, Whittemore, as in Curie Whittemore? I gasped.

"Everything alright there?" she asked, cutting of my dazed thoughts.

"Yup, I'll talk to the parent on the assembly next week. I'm gonna give Lucas a lecture, don't worry about it, I know he's good!" we both stood up and shook hands.

I smiled at her and walked out, dazing again.

So Curie has kids? But who's the father? It can't be Sandro, because if it's him, I'm pretty sure he would've married her instead of going out with Lucas and I, right? Lucas stumbled over me and hugged me, cutting me off my thoughts. He was pouting; he clearly knew he was in trouble.

"Okay little man, get inside the car and we'll talk," I placed my hands over my hip and pointed at our car. He walked with his head down slowly towards our car. I followed him while examining his back.

Does he need support group? Does he need an organization that supports kids without dads? Should I ask him to take some football lessons to at least, cover up the missing spot for his dad? Do I need someone whom he'll look up to and admire as a dad? 

Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure that the last one was just a product of my reveries. Ha ha!

He opened the door on the passenger seat and sat quietly, ignoring me, "You know um, I may not be your dad but I want you to know that I'm your parent so, I'm just here whenever you want to talk to someone. You know, parent to child relationship," he nodded his head.

I wish he would actually approach me. I mean, I'm not the one hand on hip, strict as hell, and abusive parent, right? Why wouldn't he approach me?

"Lucas, come on, talk to me. I'm not some invisible barrier here, just talk to me and quit those body languages," I pleaded him.

"You wanna twalk, mwommy? We'll fine, I need my dad. I need a dad!" he cried out on my chest.

I hugged him, "Baby, I miss your dad too. So bad it haunts me every time I sleep. I'm gonna need you to be strong for me and yourself, okay?" I pointed at his heart, "This is the only weapon you'll use against someone who laughs at you because you don't have a dad. I knew for a fact too well that if your dad was alive, everyone would've envy you" I wiped his tears off, "Be strong okay?" he nodded, "Let's go get some McFlurry!" I said, trying to lighten the drama.

He smiled at me. Not so bad on parenting Julia!

-

"Go hurry up, okay? He'll be here any minute," I took the dishes to the sink as Lucas dashed away to his room to shower..

Sandro will be here any minute to pick us up.

Half an hour later, Lucas walked downstairs with a casual outfit on and looked at me, "Mwommy, will he be my dad?" he asked.

"What? For the love of God, No. He's just a good friend of mine!" I hugged him.

"Okay, but I really need a dad!" he whimpered but was audible enough for me to hear.

-

We played for an hour until Lucas butted in; "Mwommy, I want to eat," he tugged at my sleeves.

I patted his head and looked at Sandro who gave me an amused look, "Let's go then! What do you want? Donuts, cookies, toast, buttered sandwich or pizza?" I asked him.

"I dooown noooo, anything will do, I'm tired anyways!" he looked at me.

I crouched down and was about to pick him up but got stopped, "It's okay Julia, I can carry him. I'm a male, I'm more muscular than female," he laughed, but picked him up.

Lucas rested his head on his shoulder and closed his eyes, "That was so sexist!" I punched him playfully.

"I'm just kidding!" he winked.

-

He pulled up in front of our drive way as we continuously laugh about some weird puns. Lucas was sleeping on my side peacefully!

He opened my door and took Lucas away from me to walk inside our house. I opened it with my keys and showed him the way to Lucas' bedroom. We walked upstairs and I opened the door for him to place Lucas in his bed. He rolled over the duvet to him and turned the lights off, "Goodnight daddy!" Lucas sleep-talked, which made the situation more awkward.

He smiled and walked out, leaving me to close the door behind us. I walked him out to thank him.

I was about to bid goodbye but had something else in mind, "Hey uh, can you do me a favor?" I asked him.

He looked at me puzzled, "What is it?"

"I know that you're a very decent and smart person and everyone looks up to you and you know, kids admire you, and they idolized you. So I was kinda wondering if you could, you know, um, like, be a role model to Lucas?" I asked awkwardly.

He scratched the back of his neck and looked at me, "I would love to be Lucas' father, if that's what you're asking," he replied with finality and smile on his face.

I was pretty sure that that's not what I exactly asked him, but that's cool!

Author's Note

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3