xxiv. Valor Among Victors

Chapter Twenty-FourValor Among Victors

Chapter Twenty-Four
Valor Among Victors

★ ★ ★ ★

      Wonder Woman shielded a blow sent at her from a Chitauri weapon. She landed a few hits on another alien before decapitating two more with her sword.

      "Steve, none of this will mean a thing if we do not close that portal!" Wonder Woman called out to him as he fought off another alien. She had been distracted enough to receive a gruesome cut on her upper arm, causing her to wince and fall. She hastily stood back up and decapitated the alien that had hurt her.

      "I agree with her on that, Cap," Black Widow said to the two. Once they had finished fighting the Chitauri surrounding them, the trio came closer so they wouldn't be yelling. Black Widow had a cut bleeding from her forehead, which she placed the fabric of her sleeve over to wipe away.

      "Our biggest guns couldn't touch it," Captain America argued with them. Wonder Woman's gaze fell on the energy beam shooting into the sky and frustratingly knit her eyebrows together.

      "Well, maybe it's not about guns," Black Widow said, an idea lighting up in her mind.

      "If you want to get up there, you are going to need a ride," Wonder Woman said to her, already knowing the plan brewing in her mind.

      "I got a ride. I could use a boost though," She smirked glancing between the two. Captain America sighed and stepped back, placing his shield on his hip. "You sure about this?"

      "Yeah, it's gonna be fun," She replied, causing Wonder Woman to lightly laugh.

      Black Widow sprinted towards Captain America, jumped on top of his shield and was forced up landing on a hovercraft. Wonder Woman hadn't noticed a Chitauri aiming for her until she was hit sending her flying behind a car. She landed on her stomach, a growing pain throbbing on her side. Wonder Woman grit her teeth, and pushed herself onto her back.

      Captain America cried out to her and rapidly ran to her side. He brought her closer to him, placing a hand to her face as she gasped in pain. "Diana, are you okay?"

      Wonder Woman slowly nodded and grimaced. Taking in a deep breath, she slowly stood, "I will be fine."

      Captain America warily nodded, before watching her run back to the fight. She had managed to unleash her anger on the Chitauri and killed more than a dozen before helping a bus of civilians to safety. Steve couldn't help but smile at how caring she still was. Even when she said she didn't want to help humanity, Steve knew she could never truly mean it. Diana always saw something in humanity to fight for, even at times when she didn't believe it herself.