xvi. Fallen Kingdom

Chapter SixteenFallen Kingdom

Chapter Sixteen
Fallen Kingdom

★ ★ ★ ★

      Once Diana confirmed she would be joining Steve in Avengers Initiative Program, she contacted Agent Phil Coulson of their responses. He then stated that he would be by to pick them up the next day.

Diana sat on her settee and waited patiently for the arrival of Phil Coulson, while Steve paced the living room floor. Finally, a soft knock hit their door. Steve answered the door for Agent Phil Coulson, the agent in charge of bringing them to their assigned facility.

Agent Coulson smiled, "Greetings Captain, your Highness."

Diana gave him a small smile in return for his mannered formality. She picked up her custom suitcases, one holding day-to-day clothes, while the other held her armor and arsenal.

"Ready to go?" Agent Coulson asked the duo. Steve hesitantly nodded, gesturing him to led the way. Diana followed the two men out of her apartment, securely locking the door behind her.

She followed the two men out to the street in front of her apartment building, where a black government vehicle awaited them. Phil Coulson drove them out of the city, only to stop in the middle of an empty field. Steve furrowed his eyebrows and glanced at Diana for an explanation. She told Steve to watch Phil, who pulled out a control, pressed a button and pointed it at the empty field.

Steve's eyes widened in astonishment when the field no longer appeared empty. The emptiness was replaced by a large jet-like vehicle. Diana had told Steve that it was one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s designed planes for accelerated transportation named the quinjet.

Once the three were aboard, Diana took a seat and remained silent. Steve noticed her mind had drifted and place a hand on arm as a comforting gesture. Diana glanced at him and gratefully smiled to have him beside her. With her smile in mind, Steve returned to finish reading the personnel files. He had currently been reading Bruce Banner a.k.a. The Hulk's profile.

"We are a forty minutes from the base, sir," The main pilot said to Phil, who had been sitting at a computer on the quinjet. He took off the set of headphones he had on, before walking back over to the two heroes aboard.

"So, this Dr. Banner was trying to replicate the serum that was used on me, in order to become like Diana and I?" Steve asked, his gaze flickering between Phil and Diana as he read.

"A lot of people were. You both were the world's first superheroes," Phil said to them and grabbed onto a support beam on the ceiling of the jet.

"Dr. Banner believed gamma radiation could hold the key to unlocking Dr. Erskine's original formula," Diana informed Steve, not meeting his eyes and continuing to play with her lengthy, silver bracelet on her left wrist, while leaving the one on her right alone.