vi. Captain America

Chapter SixCaptain America

Chapter Six
Captain America

★★★★

November had come sooner than Diana anticipated. It felt as if it was only yesterday when Pearl Harbor was attacked and the war still continued to grow. Currently, she was in Italy after having convinced Peggy to accompany her.

Diana glanced around the area of soldiers gathered around the stage that the USO had set up for the performance of Captain America. Diana was hidden along the crowd, as she waited for the show to begin. Finally, it did and the crowd immediately was filled with whistles and laughter at the sight of the showgirls and Steve. Diana watched as he stepped towards the microphone, in a god-awful suit and read from the back of his shield.

"How many of you are ready to help me sock ol' Adolph on the jaw?" Steve announced. The crowd was filled with silence. "Okay. I need a volunteer."

"We already volunteered, how do you think I got here?" A soldier yelled from the crowd, while a few men yelled in agreement. Diana crossed her arms in annoyance at the rudeness of the men. Steve seemed at loss for words on stage as he swallowed and quickly scanned the crowd.

"Bring back the girls!" Another man called.

Steve awkwardly laughed and said into the microphone, "I think they only know the one song. But, um... Let me... I'll see what I can do."

"You do that, sweetheart. Nice boots, Tinkerbell," A soldier yelled at Steve. Diana turned her head and realized the soldier had been the same one that had once bullied Steve when he first joined the program for Project Rebirth. Diana remember his name to be Hodge.

"Come on guys. We're all on the same team here," Steve said to the men, who were giving him hateful comments.

In the crowd, Steve watched as a man stood up and said, "Hey, Captain. Sign this," before pulling down his trousers. Diana cringed at the sight and turned away to look at the look of disgust etched across Steve's face.

Another soldier threw the tomato he held in his hand at Steve, which he managed to block with the shield on his arm. Eventually, more men followed his actions. Steve breathed in angrily and stepped off the stage while the showgirls returned to dance. Diana rolled her eyes in annoyance when the men cheered as the girls began to dance.

She moved from her position and walked towards Peggy, who had been talking to a good looking soldier, not far from the stage.

Peggy watched her friend approach in worry and didn't hesitate to ask what had happened.

"They ridiculed him. Men disgust me," Diana seethed and clenched her fists. Peggy turned to the soldier she had been having a conversation with and excused herself and Diana. Peggy led the Amazon away from the man and said, "All men, but Steve."