ix. Unbreakable

Chapter NineUnbreakable

Chapter Nine
Unbreakable

★★★★

The next morning, Steve went down to the base of operations to speak to Howard. He walked towards the desk of a receptionist and asked, "Excuse me. I'm looking for a Mr. Stark."

The blonde woman didn't glance up from the newspaper she was reading and said, "He's in with Colonel Phillips," after she looked up, her demeanor changed and she said, "Oh, of course you're welcome to wait."

Steve nodded and turned to rest against the edge of a desk. The blonde woman smiled and showed him the cover of the newspaper, "I read about what you did."

"Oh, that... yeah. Well that's, you know... Just doing what needed to be done," Steve replied to her.

"Sounded like more than that. You saved nearly 400 men," The woman stared at him, her eyes traveling over his figure.

Steve noticed and shook his head, "Really, it's not a big deal."

"Tell that to their wives," She said and stood from her seat. She walked towards him and stepped close.

"Uh, I don't think they were all married."

"You're a hero," She said and placed a hand on his tie. Steve stood up and backed away from her.

"Well, that... you know.That depends on the definition of-"

"And the Women of America. They owe you their thanks. And um, seeing as they're not here," She said and leaned in closer. In that moment Steve pushed her back and said, "You seem very nice, but I actually, um- I have a... well I don't have- at least not yet I hope, uh..."

"Captain! We're ready for you. If you're not otherwise occupied," the voice of Peggy appeared by the shelf of books. Steve's eyes widened as he rushed after her.

"Agent Carter, wait. Looks like the partner you found wasn't Diana after all," Peggy said to him over her shoulder. Steve's heart clenched at her words.

"Hey, that's not what you thought it was!"

"I don't think anything, Captain. Not one thing. Always wanted to be a soldier, and now you are. Just like all the rest. And let me tell you, Diana deserves more than that. She is beautiful, and kind, and passionate. She doesn't deserve to be cheated," Peggy said firmly.

"Hey, I care about Diana," Steve said in defense. Peggy turned to him as he spoke. "She is beautiful and kind, just like you said."