S I X: automobile

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SOME CONTENT (ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM, MURDER) THAT MAY BE TRIGGERING OR HARMFUL TO SOME READERS. PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

"Athena, run!" Finn shouted at me as I ran as fast as my legs could take me.

Finn sprinted towards the automobile that we found before we reached the river and helped me inside of it and then jumped in himself. He pulled the door to the automobile down just before the fog started to roll in. However, there was more than one opening inside and the yellow fog slowly crept in.

"It's getting inside! Close the openings!" I shouted.

We managed to seal all of the openings before more of the fog could seep in. The fog that did manage to get in burned my lungs and some of my skin. Finn and I continued to cough as a horn continued to sound in the distance.

"Did that fucking yellow fog burn your throat and skin too?" I wheezed.

Finn nodded in response, "Yeah."

We both sat on the floor on the automobile and tried to catch our breaths. We sat for about twenty minutes before the burning stopped.

Finn got up and cleaned the dust off of a window which was replaced by a curtain of yellow fog, "It's still out there."

"Fuck. What are we going to do now? Jasper could die at any minute," I sighed.

"Why are you so set on saving him?" Finn questioned.

"Well, he saved my life. The least I could do is save his."

Finn nodded and began rummaging through the cupboards. One of the cupboards was stuck and Finn had to use a little extra force to get it open. When it finally broke open, its contents fell onto the floor at our feet. Finn picked up one of the bottles, smelled the liquid inside of it, and then proceeded to drink it.

"Finn, what if that's-"

"Booze," he said handing me the bottle. "It's whiskey, I think."

I chuckled and took a long swig from the bottle.

"Jeez, Athena. Nothing's changed since we've last hung out, huh?"

I laughed, "I guess not, Spacewalker. I guess not."

He chuckled and took another drink from the whiskey bottle, "So, how did you get locked up? Raven and I were worried sick about you. You just disappeared out of nowhere."

"It's a long story," I replied.

Skywalker walked towards the window and pointed at the yellow fog that was still floating by, "I think we got a lot of time, Princess."

"All right. Well, I guess I could tell you after all you and Raven have done for me since we've met," I sighed and took another drink of the alcohol and handed it back to Finn. "You may want to keep that handy and take a seat," Finn listened to my orders and sat beside me. I rested my head on his shoulder and began the story of how I was arrested and locked up in the Sky Box until recently, "So, you know how abusive my mother was. Well, one day, she got a hold of some alcohol and she was really drunk. I came back from hanging out with you guys and as soon as I stepped into the room, it was pretty much immediate abuse. She attacked me because I slammed the door too loud. She attacked me with everything; a table, chairs, even a knife that my dad had kept hidden just in case; for emergencies. At one point she stopped attacking me physically but she began yelling at me. Then, I don't know. She had her back to me and I just couldn't take it anymore. I-I picked up the knife and I-I ki-killed her, Finn. I killed her," at this point my tears were pouring out.

Finn wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer to him. He stroked my head as I continued to cry into his chest. As I stopped crying, I also began to fall asleep. The last thing I remember was Finn laying me on the floor and then I drifted off into eternal darkness.

***

"Hey. Hey. Princess, wake up. Athena, come on," a voice whispered into my ear.

My eyes slowly opened to a pair of worried, dark brown eyes. I got up slowly and looked outside the window, noticing that the yellow fog had disappeared.

"We gotta go. Now," I said as I grabbed the bag of seaweed and pushed open the door.

As soon as Finn was out of the automobile, we sprinted back to the drop ship. On the way back, we heard a girl screaming.

"Who the hell was that?" I questioned.

"I don't know but I think we should go check it out," Finn responded.

We headed towards the direction of the scream and soon found a blonde girl staring down at a boy with red, blotchy skin. Bellamy and a few of the boys that are in his "gang" surrounded the boy as he struggled to breathe. I looked down at the boy and sighed. I then kneeled next to him and tried to calm him.

"Hey, girl. What's your name?" I asked the blonde girl.

"Charlotte," she responded.

"Okay, Charlotte. Could you please go run back to camp and find Clarke and help her with Jasper? I'm sure she needs some since I'm not there," I say as calmly and kindly as possible.

Charlotte nods and walks back to the camp with some of the delinquents.

"Okay, now. What's your name, honey?" I asked the boy dying on the floor.

"A-Atom. Kill... me. Pl...ea...se," the boy says as he chokes for air.

I slowly grab the knife out of Bellamy's hand. I nodded at him to ensure him that it was going to be okay.

"I'm going to help you, okay Atom?" I said as I ran my fingers through his hair to calm him. "Just relax. I'm going to help you."

Atom looked up at Bellamy who gave a small smile and then at me, "I'm...ready."

I sighed and then pierced the knife I took from Bellamy into Atom's neck. He started to choke on his own blood and then took his last breath. I ran my fingers over his eyelids, closing them.

"May we meet again," I whispered.