T W E N T Y - S E V E N: beginnings

When I awoke, I realized I was in an unfamiliar surrounding. The smell of smoke filled my nostrils. As I became more aware, I realized that I was in a cave and my head hurt like a bitch.

I was suddenly fully awake when a deep voice boomed behind me. "You're awake."

I looked around and found the owner of the voice. A shirtless man with his back towards me stood over the fire. Along his back, an intricate tattoo of the solar system ran up and down. His hair was a deep black and parts of it were in braids while others remained in their natural state. The man was muscular and his muscles were evident as he poked something around in the fire. I looked around the cave and noticed spears, knives, and arrows.

I immediately realized that I was in the presence of a Grounder. I began to slowly back up but eventually my head hit the wall and I was sent into a deep wave of pain.

The Grounder turned around and laughed at me. "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you."

"How can I believe that? We blew up a bridge and possibly killed some of your people," I said.

"Very little warriors were injured. However, you did delay the attack with the collapse of the bridge. Now let me take a look at your head," the man said as he helped me turn around.

I could feel him move my greasy hair around to get a better look at my bleeding head. He applied a cold liquid to it and almost instantly the pain subsided. He then turned me back around and focused on my knee, which I guess I fell on when I tripped over my gun. It was still bleeding heavily and he applied the same liquid to it that he applied to my head. The bleeding and pain stopped instantly and I could move my leg without pain.

"What is that stuff?" I asked.

He ignored my question and moved his attention to my face which was probably pretty bad because he applied the liquid all over my forehead and cheeks. 

"Why are you helping me?" I asked when he finished tending to my injuries and went back to playing with the fire.

"Because my people are attacking yours for doing things that you had no knowledge of it being wrong. Landing here and sending those flares, burning down a village, was accidental. Capturing Lincoln and torturing him was not, however, but he has forgiven you all and is willing to help you. Especially that girl named Octavia," the man informed.

He laid some damp leaves on the fire and eventually it burned out. He turned around and handed me a piece of cooked meat and I ate it quickly. The man stared at me with a look of shock on his face.

"We don't have much food at our camp. We're dealing with the virus and those who are healthy are scared of the Grounders attacking," I laughed and he nodded in response and ate his piece of meat, "So, what's your name?"

"Janus," the man responded.

"The God of choices and beginnings. My name is Athena," I introduced.

"The Goddess of wisdom," he paused and tore a piece of meat off with his teeth, "And war."

I laughed. "My friends would probably not agree with the 'wisdom' part right now. The 'war' part on the other hand..."

Janus' hearty laugh filled the cave. "Like I said, you did not know you started a war. Lincoln and I are willing to help you, by the way."

"Thank you. We could really use the help right now. Also, I thought my brother came down with us but I haven't seen him. His name is-" I started.

"Athena!" I heard Bellamy's voice yell in the distance.

"Those are my people. I have to go," I said and stood up.

When Janus stood, he towered over me. I reached just below his chin but he seemed taller and larger because of his muscles. He handed me a bottle of the liquid he used for my injuries.

"Use this twice a day. It should help with the bleeding. And although scars may make you seem like a warrior..." he paused and handed me another bottle of liquid, "Your face is too beautiful for them. This will get rid of the scars if you use it once a day."

"Athena! Athena! Are you out here?" I could hear Bellamy's calls coming closer.

"I should go now. But thank you, Janus, for everything," I said as I started to walk out of the cave.

"I hope that I can see you again, Athena," Janus said as he helped me open the hatch to the cave.

"Me too," I smiled and climbed out into the daylight.

I closed the hatch and covered it with leaves to make it seem more natural. I walked a few feet away from it, shoved the medicine in my pockets and then called for Bellamy. He immediately came running and almost tackled me as he hugged me.

"Oh, thank God you're okay. What happened? We saw the explosion. We waited for a few hours but you never came back so we got a search party together," Bellamy said quickly as he continued to hug me.

"Bellamy, I'm fine but you're cutting off my air supply with your hug," I laughed and he apologized as he let go and backed up, "I didn't have any bullets in my gun so I turned to plan B which was light a match and run like hell. But my clumsy ass tripped over my gun right when the bomb went off. When I woke up I tried to find my way back but I got lost," I lied.

Bellamy sighed and shook his head in disappointment. "Well, at least you're okay. Let's get Clarke to get you checked out," he said as he led me back towards camp after calling off the search party.

I looked back at the hatch and on top of it was a single gold flower.