S E V E N T E E N: injuries

As I stumbled down the ladder and onto the first floor, Clarke was yelling at Raven to get her mother on the radio.

"Raven, get my mother on the radio, now!" Clarke yelled.

Raven hesitated. "The radio is dead, Clarke! The storm crashed it. I can't get it back up right now."

"Okay, everyone relax," I slurred, "We'll let him ride out the seizure. Just keep him still so he doesn't hit anything."

"A-Are you drunk?" Raven said coming closer, sniffing my breath.

"Raven, shut up and hold him down," I ordered.

His seizures stopped within a matter of minutes. However, a white fluid started to pour out of his mouth.

"Okay, we have to get him on his side. Help us push him on his side, Raven," Clarke said but Raven hesitated, "Raven, there is fluid in his lungs. He could choke. Let's go!"

The three of us flipped the boy onto his side and some of the fluid leaked out of his mouth. I placed a hand on his forehead and once again, he had a fever.

"Wait... The seizing, fever, shortness of breath. Clarke, this is-" I noticed

"Poisoning," Clarke finished and then picked up the knife and climbed up the stairs, "Stay here."

Raven watched Clarke climb up the ladder and then turned her attention back to Finn by stroking his hair. "Do you think he'll be okay?"

"Raven, you two are the strongest people I know. I know he'll make it," I smiled.

She nodded in agreement and returned a smile. "So, how did you get yourself locked up, Princess?"

"Ah, the dreaded question," I sighed and took the last drink of Monty's moonshine, "Long story short, I killed my mother."

Raven's face didn't change as it remained fixated on Finn's. "The bitch deserved it after what she did to you for all those years. Are you doing okay?"

"I'm fi- Actually, I've been terrible. Abby was the one that killed my father, I killed my mother, my brother was locked up and I haven't seen him. What if he got floated, Raven?" At this point, tears were threatening to spill.

"He's your twin, Athena. No one can be floated under the age of 18. He's probably just lost," Raven walked around the table and engulfed me in a hug but quickly let go and checked Finn's breathing. "He stopped breathing, Athena. He stopped breathing! What do we do?!"

"Calm down! Okay, when I tell you to, pinch his nostrils closed and breathe twice into his mouth, understood? Only breathe for one second, then pause, then breathe for another," I instructed as I began the chest compressions.

I got to 30 compressions and then Raven did her part. He still wasn't breathing so I started the compressions again. Halfway before finishing the compressions, Finn started breathing again.

"His breath is shallow but at least he's breathing," I informed Raven.

She nodded and then headed for the ladder. "Watch over him. I'm going to handle this once and for all."

I watched her feet disappear up the ladder onto the second floor. Then, I was drunk and alone with a dying boy.

***

After about 20 minutes, Clarke and Raven raced down the ladder excitedly. Clarke ran over to Finn with a vial, lifted his head and began pouring a dark liquid into his mouth.

"That's the antidote?" I asked.

Clarke and Raven both nodded in response as Clarke continued to pour the liquid into Finn's mouth. She poured about half the bottle before setting Finn's head back onto the table to rest.

"How do you know if it'll work?" Raven asked.

"We'll just have to wait and see," I responded.

"He'll need water when he wakes up. Do you mind?" Clarke asked Raven.

Raven nodded and as soon as she disappeared somewhere in the Ark to fetch some water, Clarke began crying and laid on top of Finn's motionless body. 

"Clarke? Clarke, what's wrong?" I asked her.

"I don't think I can do this without Finn. I can't do anything without him," Clarke responded in between gasps.

I sighed. "Look, Clarke. I have to be honest with you right now. You may want to back off of Finn."

"Why-" Clarke started.

"Clarke? Clarke. You there?" Abby's voice came in through the radio.

Clarke wiped her tears and composed herself. "Yeah, I'm here."

"How's Finn doing?" Abby asked.

"He's doing well, Abby. We think he'll make it out of this alive," I responded.

"Athena, it's good to hear your voice. Girls, you did a wonderful job. I'm proud of both of you. I'm sure your fathers would be proud of both of you too," Abby said.

When Abby mentioned my father, something in me changed and I felt nothing but hatred towards Abby Griffin. "You do not get to talk about my father. After letting us blame Wells for everything. Wells told us everything before he-" I paused and looked at Clarke who was already crying as tears threatened to spill from my eyes, "We hated him until the day he died for no reason. We have to live with that. You have to live with that."

"Girls. Girls, listen to me. That was never supposed to happen. I went to Jaha so he could talk them out of it-"

"I'm done talking to you!" Clarke said as she fumbled with the radio and shut Abby's voice off.

I turned to Clarke and held her tightly in my arms. We both cried until no more tears could be produced. In that moment, I felt closer to Clarke than I ever had before. I regretted hating her for something she didn't cause.

When the tears stopped completely and we made sure Finn was taken care of by Raven, we headed upstairs to meet the Grounder that Bellamy was holding captive. The Grounder looked mutilated with his injuries so Clarke and I immediately began doing what we do best: healing. I tended to the cuts on his torso as Clarke tended to his hand which had a large piece of metal in it. The Grounder was resisting Clarke's helping hand. However, Octavia arrived and took over the cleaning which the Grounder accepted.

"It seems like the two of you have a connection," I smiled at Octavia who nodded and returned the smile before she continued to clean his injury.

"I didn't want him to get hurt, Octavia. I just wanted to save Finn," Clarke said with compassion.

I looked up at Octavia and noticed that her faced was plagued with annoyance. "For the record, you didn't save Finn. That was me," Octavia responded without looking at Clarke who sighed in defeat and left. Octavia turned to the Grounder, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for any of this to happen to you. You saved my life and look at the thanks you get."

I sighed and shook my head in disbelief at the injuries Bellamy and his boys left on the Grounder. I looked up at Octavia and noticed the Grounder had grabbed the wet cloth that she was cleaning him with.

The Grounder looked at both of us and whispered. "Thank you."